HELP: Uneven AS toilet bowl after install

Users who are viewing this thread

axelf911

Reaction score
Dear TerryLove forums,

I just recently installed an American Standard Cadet round toilet in my bathroom. At first I placed the wax ring on the flange and placed the toilet bowl down on the wax ring. I noticed that there was still a huge gap in the back. I should've pushed down further to let the wax settle and the bowl level down with the floor. However, I mistakenly thought I improperly positioned the bowl, so I lifted the bowl off the ground again and placed it down on the wax ring again. A quick eyeball look at things and I thought all was good and I installed the tank and things were okay.

However, today I checked with a level and with the following pictures appear to have an uneven toilet. As far as I know, the floor is level.

IMG_3110 (copy).jpg

From the left side and right side of the bowl, it seems fairly level, with the left side a tiny bit lower than the right. No big deal.

IMG_3111 (copy).jpg

However, from the front to back, it appears the front is unlevel with the back. The front is higher than the back.

The toilet is not wobbly at all, when I look at the base of the bottom, it seems everything is flat with the floor. However, the level check proves otherwise.
I know I goofed up the wax ring install and this may have cause it. Should I just buy a new wax ring seal and redo it all? I believe my mistake was lifting the bowl up again and placing it down, instead of just letting the wax settle. I did think about shimming as well, but I've never had to shim any previous toilets installed in this room.

I notice when I sit down on it something kind of feels funny, like gravity is working against me. I hope it is not one of those American Stand defective bowl shipments. I don't believe it is, I guess I should do a level check of the toilet without the wax ring. It's not a crazy tilt like that one of the older threads.

Any help from you guys would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sound like you have discovered what is frequently discussed on this forum. However, before rushing back to exchange the toilet, set it on the flange without a wax ring and recheck the level. See if the base rests completely on the floor all the way around. BTW, do not reuse a wax ring. Once compressed, they do not regain their shape.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the base is flat to the floor and it doesn't move, there isn't much you can do.
Toilets are made of wet clay that will shrink about 25% in the kiln.
Is the floor level?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
MOST toilets are uneven if you put a level on them. They are molded of soft clay, then fired in a "kiln". There is NO WAY to prevent them from sagging slightly in the process. That is why I NEVER put a level on a toilet after I install it. NOW, if the toilet were drastically out of level, then I would assume you bought it from a "big box store", and that is what they often sell.

axelf911

Reaction score
Yes the floor is fairly level. If I didn't properly settle the wax, would this cause the unevenness for the front to back? Should I at least try to a new wax ring?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes on the new ring, but first do as I suggested in my early reply. Check the fit on the flange without a wax ring. If it seem OK, then a new ring. When you put the toilet over the flange, use you body weight to push the toilet into the wax. Don't try to pull it down with the flange bolts. Those bolts are intended just to hold the toilet in place. Tighten them only after the base of the toilet is resting on the floor all the way around. As HJ points out, the toilet does not have to set 100% level although if the floor is level and the toilet is of high quality, it should be darn near perfect. As you know, AS does not have a good reputation for quality, but that may not be you problem here.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
One other thing - DON'T use a wax ring with a plastic "horn."

They sometimes get in the way during an install. Use a plain wax ring.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The wax ring COULD NOT cause the problem, because the toilet will compress it until the bowl is sitting tight to the floor. Any "problem" you have is in the bowl itself, NOT how it was installed.

axelf911

Reaction score
I believe you guys are correct. Since its not leaking and flush to the ground the install was ok. Maybe I'll just get a better seat than the flimsy one they give you in the kit. Thanks for the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks