Grounding or Bonding Jetted Bathtub

Users who are viewing this thread

seegee

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm sorry, this may have been asked before, but I want to make double/triple sure I have this right.

I have a jetted Proflo tub that was installed in my new home. There is only 1 Romex cable to supply power and ground. There is no heater on the unit, and I am using aquapex for the water supply. There is what looks like a grounding/bonding bolt on the motor, but if I'm not using copper pipes, and there is no heater unit, is it necessary to connect anything to that bolt?

Just want to be safe and sure. Thanks in advance.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What does the installation manual say? My guess is that it does need to be grounded, if nothing else, but that is a guess.

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
i would bet that the motor would have to be grounded, as well as hooked up to a GFCI outlet as well.

seegee

Reaction score
It just says the following:

In one area:

Electrical Requirements
1. ALL CONNECTIONS MUST BE GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupted) PROTECTED
2. Whirlpool units require dedicated 20 amp, 115 volt service.
3. A receptacle with a 20 amp configuration must be provided.
4. See local codes for proper wire size, if not specified use #12 Copper only wire.

In another area:

DANGER: RISK OF ELECTRICAL SHOCK! Connect only to a separate circuit protected by a ground fault circuit
interrupter (GFCI).
• The unit must be connected to a circuit interrupter (GFCI). Such a circuit is provided by the installer and should be
tested on a routine basis. To test the GFCI push the test button. The GFCI should interrupt power. Push the RESET
button. Power should be restored. If the GFCI fails to operate in this manner, there is a ground current flowing, indicating
the possibility of an electrical shock. Do not use this unit. Disconnect the unit and have the problem corrected
by a qualified service representative before using.

Another area:
Electrical connection is simply made by plugging pump cord (shipped with
cord and plug) into specified dedicated 120V/20A GFCI outlet.

IT IS CONNECTED TO A GFCI CIRCUIT.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Well, electrically speaking, a gfci doesn't even require a ground, although it does give a safety path to trip the CB if there's some types of shorts.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
The lug on the motor has nothing to do with grounding. The grounding is accomplished by the bare copper wire in the cable supplying the receptacle.

The lug on the motor is for bonding any and all metal parts in the area of the tub together. If there are no metal water pipes and no other metal that can be touched while in the tub then it gets hooked to nothing

Chris DeLong

Reaction score
The bonding lug on the motor is for bonding any metal parts in contact with the circulating water only, In my experience, I have never seen a tub plumbed with anything but plastic... so IMO you don't have to bond anything.

seegee

Reaction score
The lug on the motor has nothing to do with grounding. The grounding is accomplished by the bare copper wire in the cable supplying the receptacle.

The lug on the motor is for bonding any and all metal parts in the area of the tub together. If there are no metal water pipes and no other metal that can be touched while in the tub then it gets hooked to nothing

Yes, there are no metal water pipes, but the plastic water pipes of course connect to the tub spout and hot/cold control knobs, which are metal. Those don't need bonding, right?

seegee

Reaction score
bump... just wanted to know this last piece...

Yes, there are no metal water pipes, but the plastic water pipes of course connect to the tub spout and hot/cold control knobs, which are metal. Those don't need bonding, right?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks