Need advice on tub overflow--do I even need one?

Users who are viewing this thread

ExeutiveRanch

Reaction score
Hi, I actually posted my question over in the code section but thought I would run it by you over here as well.

A MN inspector told us we need to install an overflow in a 1960 custom-built tile tub. Aside from the fact that my plumber isn't sure about drilling in to the ceramic tile and whatever's behind it, I'm wondering if we even really need to do this. I looked it up online and there seems to be some controversy in the plumbing codes.

Thoughts?????

(Photos in the thread I started in the code section.)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not sure about the code, but you can make a nice, clean hole without messing up much with a diamond core bit (essentially a piece of pipe with diamonds on the end and a shank on the other for the drill motor). Now, a diamond core bit in that size will not come cheap, but you don't need a super long-lasting one as once you get through the tile, the backer is pretty soft and it should go fairly quickly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks