Subpanel in attached garage adjacent to living space

Users who are viewing this thread

Seattle38

Reaction score
I'm adding a subpanel in an attached garage, adjacent to living space, a common wall. I'm in unincorporated Snohomish County.

what are the rules regarding placing a subpanel in an attached garage, in or on a common wall with adjacent living space?

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pretty much the same as a subpanel placed anywhere. Some, but by no means all: fed with a four-wire cable, neutral and ground bus bars separated, access space in front, above, and to the sides (don't remember the numbers).

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Pretty much the same as a subpanel placed anywhere. Some, but by no means all: fed with a four-wire cable, neutral and ground bus bars separated, access space in front, (36 inches) above,(6 1/2 feet) and to the sides(30 inches) (don't remember the numbers).

yes you do see it is in red

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
There may be a fire rating requirement on that wall. I'm sure your county building officials stand ready to answer your questions on that subject.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the wall between the garage and the house is a firewall (likely unless it is really old), then you may want to surface mount it rather than install flush (in the wall) mount. You need to be careful about the wire penetrations in the wall to maintain a fire rating as well. How you do that can get more involved.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks