Do I need to extend cleanout above floor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve-C

Reaction score
Hi - We're building our own house and I'm doing the plumbing, UPC is the code here. The drain line (3") runs 22 feet in a straight line from the end to where it exits the foundation. According to my code booklet, since the distance is >20 feet, I need to extend the cleanout outside (not possible) or up above floor level (no good place for it there). My question is this: can I avoid extending the cleanout to the floor level if I put a 2-way cleanout at the exterior end of the drain line?
Thanks for any help on this. If I had the money I'd hire a real plumber...
Steve

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not too sure what you're asking here: an "approved" exterior 2-way cleanout, extended to grade, can substitute for the otherwise required upper terminal C/O, but that's not
such a good idea, I think. The only 20-ft rule I know of is a maximum distance of underfloor C/O opening from access hatch, crawl hatch, etc.

Steve-C

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. The end of the run is 22 feet from the crawl access. The way I read it my options are to either extend the pipe outside or up to floor level. Running it outside would be a big big job and there's no good place to hide a cleanout cover in the floor above. If I can get away with a 2-way cleanout at the outside edge of the foundation where the pipe exits that would be good. The pipe is only a foot or so below grade there so it'd be easy to use.
Steve

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks