Pause in water pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

KDickinson

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a submersible pump and your typical currently available pressure tank with a bladder or rubber liner. The pressure seems good and the well is good, but every 5-6 minutes when the water is running it dries up to trickle and then kicks in again back to normal pressure. The dropping and resurgence only lasts about 10 seconds but is a real pain. I have one pressure gauge which is on the line from the well and prior to the pressure tank. This isn't an abrupt situation, it has been a slow progression over the last year or so. Is this a simple pressure cut off adjustment?

Kim

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
It could be that the air precharge is too high so the tank runs out of reserve before the pump comes on. It could also be a failing pressure switch whereby mineral build-up under the diaphragm is causing the pump to start at progressively lower pressure.

KDickinson

Reaction score
Ok, so if it's the air precharge how do I adjust that? So getting a new switch would solve the second possible issue?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Shut the power off to your pump, drain the tank, and then check the air pressure in the tank at the air charge valve. The air charge should be 2 psi below cut in pressure, for example if your system operates on a 40/60 pressure differential you should have 38 psi on the tank.
I have seen good bladder tanks last 25+ years. I replace pressure switches every 5 years and I always use a brass nipple under the pressure switch. Be sure there is a pressure relief valve in the system!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks