(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Water Softener Install - DIY with PEX Plumbing

Default Water Softener Install - DIY with PEX Plumbing

Hi everyone,

I have 3/4" PEX plumbing coming off my city water meter in my basement. The builder (built 2006) used AquaPex plumbing and roughed in the isolation of the outside taps and sink/fridge water so they are not impacted by the water softener.

I plan to cut into the main water supply after the isolation section and go over to the water softener I've just bought, then come back in and reconnect into the house line.

I've tried to sketch it roughly below. Basically, post-isolated items, I am cutting into the water line and going over to the water softener, then attaching into the line up into the house, so that all the rest of the water into the house is softened:

What I am hoping to do is use two of these: http://www.homedepot.ca/product/12-i...-4-inch/921503
    where the shark bute connects onto the water line in (after the isolator) and then I screw onto the water softener, then use the same to get the softened water back into the line I'd cut to get it over to the softener.

Is this a good idea?

I am also contemplating two 90 degree sharbite adapters, then a piece of pex, then a sharbite pex-to-FNPT fitting to attach it to the softener (doing essentially what the above is doing, but with pex).

Any thoughts or suggestions ?

It is AN idea, but whether it will acually work for you depends on several factors that only a photo would reveal. The flex may be too short to make the bends necessary.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber