Dresser coupling with galvanized pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

shnaig

Reaction score
I'm repairing a rusted out 1/2" galvanized pipe in the wall which went to a spigot for the washing machine. All the connections were pretty seized so I had to cut the pipe. I'm using a dresser compression coupling to connect the old cut pipe to the new installed pipe in a vertical installation. The new section of pipe comes out of the coupling to a tee and continues upward creating an air chamber which is capped. The problem is when I turned on the water to test for leaks the new section of pipe popped out of the dresser coupling. Is this to be expected because the new section was unsecured? Is it a requirement to have both ends secured from movement when using this type of coupling?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
First, "Dresser" is a brand of fitting and they make several different couplings. Which one did you use, the one with "screwed" nuts on either end or the one with "draw bolts" on each side. IF the pipe can move longitudinally, then there should be some restraint to keep it inside the coupling.

Stihlworking

Reaction score
Similar problem- I've got really old 3/4" galv water line from street meter to 1912 house. It is leaking .375 gallons a minute at a coupling in the yard. My solution is to use a Dresser style 4 or 41 coupling which tightens split follower rings around a gasket and seals the existing coupling at the threads instead of cutting the pipe and using a style 38 coupling or equivalent. Any one use these before or know where to get them? Dresser only sells to wholesale distributers and I cant even order from them. Any online supply houses?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not an answer to your question, but if the rest of galvanized pipe is as old as you imply, you're wasting your time repairing it. The entire line needs to be replaced. It's only a matter of time, and likely a short time, before more leaks show up. Galvanized pipe has a fairly short life span, usually somewhere around 40 years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks