Bathroom remodel advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Brian.Hoard

Reaction score
Hello,
I have our small second story bathroom gutted down to the studs and am ready to build it back up.
I removed the old 60" cast iron tub that was in there as it was from 1973 when the house was built.

The room is only 8'x5', and had a tub/shower toilet and sink. Now that I am starting over, what is the best quality to go with for the tub? I am using a Toto toilet, love those things. But as I read about bathtubs, I see about acrylic, cast iron, etc. It appears that definitely don't want fiberglass as I want to get the best quality surface that will last the longest so I won't be messing with this room for a very long time.

Any advice for what I should look for, or any specific brands that you would recommend? I'm of the mindset that buying good quality is actually the most inexpensive in the long run. So I don't mind paying premium prices for quality. I'm just not sure about any of this when it comes to tubs.

Thanks for any help.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
You don't need steel or cast iron to have a quality tub. What is so important is that the tub is comfortable and has a base inside not prone to flexing.

Get in the tubs at the showroom. Lie down. Get comfy if you can, if you can't ....... NEXT!

JW

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's pretty tough to beat cast iron all right. They are a two man installation. You see them in old homes still being used.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The order of preference for me;
1. Cast iron
2. Americast
3. Any plastic tub
4. WAY DOWN THE LIST, in last place, enameled steel
Once you get past #2 the customer has to buy the tub, because I will not guarantee it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks