Toto Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

txlandlord

Reaction score
Website
www.brotherscustomworks.com
I am a builder, and our client (against recommendations) bought a display Toto toliet. It is a 2 piece, and appears to be a Vespin, but we have no ID as yet.

The toilet came without boxing, instructions and nothing more than the tank and bowl (with all internal parts). The drain is in the back of the toilet about 8" off the floor, a 2"+ intergal porcelin "pipe". The drain outlet (bottom of the porcelin pipe) faces down and not to the rear as a rear drain (retrofit) toilet. The bolt pattern in the bowl is 8-10 O.C., and does not fit a standard toilet flange pattern.

What have I got? Calls to the vendor with questions have not been answered. My plumber and I can not figure out how to install the toliet.

I found www.totousa.com, but the Vespin shows a typical bottom drain toilet.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The toilet comes (or should have come) with the unifit adapter. The standard one is for a normal 12" offset. You can get the adapter for either a 10" or 14". Basically, this adapter seats to the normal flange with a wax ring and bolts, plus has 4 additional screws at the rear that need to be installed holding the back of the adapter to the floor. The back of the adapter also has slots for another set of flange bolts. Then, the toilet sits down on top of the adapter, and the toilet bolts to the adapter's bolts, not the normal flange bolts. Since the toilet normally comes with the 12" adapter, and they charge extra for eitherthe 10" or 14", if anyone needed a 10" or 14", the store probably has some 12" ones lying around.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score

The adapter is made to set the toilet over...it mates up with it and seals easily and well. Other than the screws to hold it to the floor, the wax ring, and the flange bolts, it is one-piece plastic. http://totousa.com/ProductPage.asp?pid=159

Last edited by a moderator:

txlandlord

Reaction score
Website
www.brotherscustomworks.com
Thanks again, the link worked and the part has already been ordered for pick-up this morning. Willing to stay up until 1:30 AM and wait for an answer has paid off. I could not have obtained answers, a solution and saved myself some time searcing this AM if it were not for this forum.

My plumber if happy and I can get on to other things.

Junior Member? I am 51 years old? :D

Thanks again,

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Unifit toilets

Most Toto toilets are standard 12" rough toilets that will work with as little as 11-1/4" on the rough-in.
These toilets just drop down on the flange like anything else, an easy install.

They also make the skirted toilets with an adapter called the Unifit.

This allows the bowl to be moved from the standard rough-in of 12" to either a 10" or a 14".
These toilets come standard with the 12" in the box.

One note about the skirted toilets, the seats attach with rubber toggles from the top. You may want to see about those at the same time. The toggles come with the toilet and replace the seat bolts that come in the seat box.
This way the seat can be attached after the toilet is set.

51 is still younger than me.

toto_seat_toggle.jpg

Seat toggles for the skirted bowls

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks