(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Vertical or Horizontal well pump

Default Vertical or Horizontal well pump

What determines the use of a vertical or horizontal well pump? If you have a vertical, how do you convert to a horizontal? I just purchased a house with a well and the well pump (vertical) runs but no water. Tried priming nothing, going to pull line to check foot valve b4 disassembling pump it is a Sta-rite MSE-7, is this a shallow well? Been long time since I worked on pumps. It has a small tank guess 30 gallons believe bladder type has a valve on top, do I need to put air in tank, 0 pressure now, if so what is psi. Info appreciated.

How much water did you pour in? You need to try at least 10-15 gallons before you give up.

Sta-Rite MSE is a very high quality pump, I would say you have a deep well. If you do get it prime it's a strong possibility that trash will get in the jet from sitting so long and it will have to be pulled. If you get it pumping but only get ~30 psi then the jet is plugged.

To prime faster pull the 1/4" plug out of the bottom of the pump and pour the water in where the gauge goes. If there is a discharge block valve close it for the start-up, MSE's can be tricky to get started and sometimes start better with the pump isolated from the tank. Once running set the regulator at 60 psi while the pump is running. The gague shows jet pressure when the pump is running, you'll only see tank pressure when the pump is off.

Good luck!!

I poured 22 gallons in it today where the gauge is, isolated from tank and house, nothing. What about the vertical ver horizontal? I hope it is just the foot valve. Thanks TW.

There is not a horizontal pump out there that will outperform an MSE. If you look on the motor of your pump you will see that it has a SF (Service Factor) of 1.65. What that means is that it is really a 1.5 HP pump disguised as a 1-HP. It will give you good service down to about an 80' water level when paired with a good jet.

There is only one multi-stage horizontal pump that I am aware of in current production. Multi-stage means that it has multiple impellers.

If you need to re-locate your pump you can use the legs on the bottom of the Sta-Rite to make a stand out of and get the same effect. Is the pump currently mounted directly over the well? Or is it already offset? I much prefer a direct mount, much easier to prime and gives less trouble.

To test your footvalve/leathers, do this. Pour in about 5-10 gallons of water, and then hold your hand over the priming hole. After about ten or so seconds pull your hand away and see if you can feel a vacuum. You'll have to close the 1/4" plug on the side of the hole before you do this or else you won't be able to feel the vacuum.

Sometimes it just takes lots and lots of water to prime. Pulling a packer jet up from 80-100 ft is not as easy as it seems.

Good Luck.

I pulled the pump, direct mount. I dropped string in pipe, went down 75' no water at all in pipe, string/nut was dry. I broke the flange loose from well casing was tough and all but I can't pull the pipe out of the casing, only up about 1" from casing or so but it is clear of casing. Guess it is down in sand I am in NW Florida. Does this mean my well is dry or what? Even with leaking foot valve it should be in water and string/nut should've been wet, right? If I call a well guy, how do they pull the pipe without breaking it? What is cost? Here is my dilema: They want 2k tap to public water. So I'm trying to calculate which is best way to go. I will rent house out when all is finished. Motor runs and sounds fine might need pump rebuilt impeller etc, haven't checked. The tank looks rough. Thoughts-Cost etc. Thanks

Hard to say about your situation.

Best bet would be to call a pro with a real pump hoist. He should be able to get it out. Is it steel pipe or PVC?

Once you pull the jet line out he can determine the static water level and proceed from there.

What is cost estimate? PVC

It would be better for you to call around to the local guys and get estimates from them. Prices vary from region to region as do methods and materials.

It is probably cheaper than you think. If you try it yourself it is very easy to drop a slick PVC pipe, and then the original cost will seem cheap.