(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Power Flux (Dimming)

  1. #1
    DIY Junior Member swami69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Benton, AR
    Posts
    2

    Default Power Flux (Dimming)

    OK, here is my problem. I live in a newly constructed house. They are building a new house right next door. I am seeing a power flux (dimming) in my lights whenever any of the following occurs:

    - I turn on the A/C in my house
    - I turn on the washing machine in my house
    - the compressor next door kicks on (for their nail gun and/or other tools)

    The compressor next door is hooked up to a temporary post on the street. I have had my electrician come look along with the utility company. The utility company says that the house is getting plenty of power. So now, short of getting another electrician in here, trying to figure out what the problem could be (and if my electrician, who is the one who did the wiring during construction, doesn't know what he's doing). Most of the lights in the house are 60W if that matters.

    Any thoughts on what the problem might be? I would think that given the proper wiring that I shouldn't see any kind of power flux.

    Thanks for the help in advance.

  2. #2
    Plumber jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    9,001

    Default

    Even in a new house, the start up of a large A/C compressor can cause a momentary slump, which could cause some flickering or dimming.
    The washing machine, or something next door, should NOT.

    Did the utility company actually come out and look at the situation?

    The only definitive test is to install a volts and amps recorder on your panel. You can probably rent that equipment, but it won't be cheap.

  3. #3
    Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NY State, USA
    Posts
    975

    Default

    This can be absolutely normal, even in a new house.

    What relevance does the house next door have? Are you implying that that is somehow the cause?

  4. #4
    DIY Junior Member swami69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Benton, AR
    Posts
    2

    Default

    The utility company came out twice. The first time to upgrade the wire from the street to the box on the house. The second time they checked the voltage and said I was getting the full amount. I asked if the distance from the transformer/pedestal was too far and they said no (only b/c other houses on the street were set up that way).

    As for the house next door, the flux is being caused by the air compressor that is hooked up to the temporary post for the other house. Could there be an issue with how the temporary is set up too?

  5. #5
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    21,405

    Default

    If the wires are correctly sized for the load and the connections are all tight all along the path to the load, unless the transformer supplying the house(s) is undersized, the voltage should be pretty stable.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

  6. #6
    Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NY State, USA
    Posts
    975

    Default

    My home is wired with ALL #12 for lighting and receptacle branch circuits, and the circuits are pretty well laid out.
    I STILL get lighting dimming when the refer, A/C, pool pump, etc, kick on.

    Even if there is an "issue" (not sure what this means) with the setup next door, what do you propose is done? The POCO and electrician have both looked at it.

  7. #7
    Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NY State, USA
    Posts
    975

    Default

    Be careful, if you're not really nice you'll get a nasty PM, like I did.
    LOL!!

  8. #8
    Jack of all trades DonL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,648

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
    OK, here is my problem. I live in a newly constructed house. They are building a new house right next door. I am seeing a power flux (dimming) in my lights whenever any of the following occurs:

    - I turn on the A/C in my house
    - I turn on the washing machine in my house
    - the compressor next door kicks on (for their nail gun and/or other tools)

    The compressor next door is hooked up to a temporary post on the street. I have had my electrician come look along with the utility company. The utility company says that the house is getting plenty of power. So now, short of getting another electrician in here, trying to figure out what the problem could be (and if my electrician, who is the one who did the wiring during construction, doesn't know what he's doing). Most of the lights in the house are 60W if that matters.

    Any thoughts on what the problem might be? I would think that given the proper wiring that I shouldn't see any kind of power flux.

    Thanks for the help in advance.

    Maybe adding a Flux Capacitor would help.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

    Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

  9. #9
    Moderator & Master Plumber hj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    Posts
    25,651

    Default

    The only way the neighbor's AC could affect your lighting is if the power TO the transformer is inadequate, because both wires should be connected to the transformer, NOT to each other. Can your penguin tell if I am pregnant?
    Last edited by hj; 04-30-2012 at 04:34 PM.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

  10. #10
    DIY Senior Member BobL43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    The only way the neighbor's AC could affect your lighting is if the power TO the transformer is inadequate, because both wires should be connected to the transformer, NOT to each other. Can your penguin tell if I am pregnant?
    HJ, the LINUX Pingu knows all. he just said you are too old to become pregnant, but still young enough to cause it.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=pingu...w=1090&bih=705


    Bad dude and Tux seem to waffle

    ah, Don went ahead and put up another icon

    so easy, even an old fart can do it.
    Last edited by BobL43; 05-01-2012 at 09:44 AM.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

  11. #11
    Jack of all trades DonL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,648

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobL43 View Post
    HJ, the LINUX Pingu knows all. he just said you are too old to become pregnant, but still young enough to cause it.

    It is amazing what a Flux Capacitor can do.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

    Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

  12. #12
    DIY Senior Member BobL43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    It is amazing what a Flux Capacitor can do.
    Especially if it a poly-phase Tantilum
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

  13. #13
    Jack of all trades DonL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,648

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobL43 View Post
    Especially if it a poly-phase Tantilum
    That is the type that I use.

    I have no voltage or current drop with the poly-phase Tantilum type.

    In fact it made my Voltage and Current go up a bit.

    I just wish they did not cost so much and were easier to get.

    I guess new technology does cost a little more.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

    Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Similar Threads

  1. Random light and appliance 'dimming'
    By mrgoodkat in forum Electrical Forum discussion & Blog
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-08-2010, 01:55 PM
  2. Dimming Low Volt Undercabinet
    By crabapplemcn in forum Electrical Forum discussion & Blog
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-04-2009, 06:33 PM
  3. Electrical Surges/Light dimming
    By mds in forum Electrical Forum discussion & Blog
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-27-2009, 08:32 AM
  4. Flux ?
    By statjunk in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08-04-2007, 05:18 PM
  5. momentarily dimming lights
    By chuck_r in forum Electrical Forum discussion & Blog
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 04:15 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •