Cycle stop valve question

Users who are viewing this thread

clayswim

Reaction score
I have a CSV1.25-50 and a 40-60psi pressure switch, and my 50 gallon bladder tank is charged to 38psi. When the pump is running with a faucet open the system maintains 50psi like its supposed to, but when I shut the water off it takes about 15 seconds before the system reaches 60psi and the pump kicks off. It takes about 30 seconds when going from 40-60psi.

Isn't the cycle stop valve supposed to take longer to fill the tank? If I had one of those 4 gallon tanks it would only take a couple of seconds to fill.

BTW, the pump is a 20gpm, 1-1/2HP Franklin set 100' down.

Thanks,
Clayton

clayswim

Reaction score
One more thing I forgot... When my pump turns on the drop pipe (Poly) lowers by about a 1/2" into the well seal then comes back into place. It barely moves when the pump shuts off. Is that a normal amount of torque? The pump is hanging from a 3/16" stainless wire which is anchored to a pulley system connected to the roof. Anyway, it seems that after thousands of cycles it would cause some wear and tear on the PVC pipe that its connected to. Or maybe I worry too much.

Thanks again,
Clayton

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The CSV is holding 50 PSI, doing what it is supposed to. Sounds like a tank problem. 50 gallon tank should hold 12 gallons. Check how much you get out between 60 and 40, before the pump comes on.

Sounds like poly pipe is stretching under pressure. Do you have a check valve above ground?

clayswim

Reaction score
I get about 12 gallons out of my pressure tank before the pump kicks on, so I think the tank is working fine. I've noticed that the CSV slows the water flow down the closer it gets to 60psi. It still fills faster than the 2-3gpm it should though.

I figured out the pipe jumping problem, a mistake on my part. When I bleached the well I loosened the cap and forgot to tighten it again. Now that its tight it does its normal small jerk, but that's it. No, I don't have another check valve on the system, just the one on the pump.

Clayton

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sometimes the CSV1.25 regulates a little higher pressure. And gauges are never very accurate. Try turning up the pressure switch until your gauge reads shut off at 65 or 70 PSI. Even then that valve has a 3 GPM minimum, so the pump will still cycle if you are using a 2.5 GPM shower. You really needed a CSV1-50 that would work down to 1 GPM. The valve you have is made for a 50 GPM pump, not a 20 GPM pump. Could be something wrong with the valve keeping it from closing properly. If there is something wrong with the valve you need to replace it with a 1” CSV1-50.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks