Hardwire to dishwasher

Users who are viewing this thread

Maryn

Reaction score
I guess my question is more of an electrical question, sorry: I've replaced my old dishwasher with a new one. The old one was hardwired and the new one has a plug. What do I do with the old hardwire? Do I trim it, cap it, take it off the circuit entirely? As of now it's capped and shoved behind the new one but that's probably not the right thing to do. Any advice would be great! Thanks!

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Why not just connect the hard wire to a outlet and plug the dishwasher into it?

John

Maryn

Reaction score
THanks John and cacher_chick. John, I think you are right in that I should use the existing hardwire. It's safer.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hard wiring a DW makes no sense. If it did, we'd hard wire electric ranges, and clothes dryers. Simply put an outlet box in the wall behind the DW, run the present wiring into it and install a socket. It you ever need to remove the DW for repair or replacement, this will greatly simplify the process. You will want to leave enough wire on the DW to allow it to slide out for servicing and still be connected. Same with the water line and drain. There's plenty of space under the DW to have the extra wire and water line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks