(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: What size water heater needed for Jacuzzi?

Default What size water heater needed for Jacuzzi?

I plan to install a 55-gal jacuzzi tub. What size water heater do I need, gas, tank?
    4 people in the house, 1 bath, might add 3/4 bath in 5-10 years. I'm thinking 75-gal, but that might be over kill. Maybe 65 would cut it fine?
    Last edited by wrdrennan; 04-27-2012 at 10:37 AM.

With a condensing gas water heater w/~75KBTU/hr burner you should be able to get there with a 50 gallon. For non-condensing burner (any rating), 65 works, but if it has less than 50KBTU/hr burner you might have to wait for it to recover after filling the tub before somebody in as-yet built second bath could take a shower.

If you wanted margin, the 100KBTU/hr burner version of the condensing 50 gallon Vertex has a higher first-hour gallons rating than most 75 gallon tanks. You may have subsidies available to you for going with a condensing water heater too. A 100K condensing burner can run ~3gpm (about 1.5-2 low-flow showers) of 110F water forever at typical Seattle area incoming water temps.

Hi, based on my humble opinion for a jacuzzi I'd use a tankless water heater. That way you could get on-demand hot water whenever you need. Since you have a relatively large house I'd think about buying a high-end tankless water heater. Probably the Rinnai tankless water heater - R94/RL94 (and above) would be a safe bet, such a heater could handle all the prerequisities you set up in the opening post. And last but not the least the extra price you pay for a tankless water heater will return as a saving on a longer run.

You could also install a second 40 gallon tank in series with your other tank. I did that and we have lots of water. The nice thing about 2 tanks is that if one goes, and if you installed bypass valves, you will still have hot water and you have some time to replace the failed tank.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

2 cheap forty's. Always best to design with backup, and can turn one off when the JAQ is out of service or you go away.