PEX brand recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

tlt3900

Reaction score
I live in a home built in the early 80s and I'm looking at remodeling my master bathroom. I would like to take that time to replace the old galvanized steel pipes in the master bathroom with PEX. There are many brands out there and I was wondering what advice the forum may have as to which brand to use. I've looked at:

Viega PEX Press
Uponor
Hydropex
Sharkbite

On a related note, would you recommend pulling out the existing galvanized pipe and replacing one for one with PEX or installing a localized manifold for the bathroom and run individual lines to each of the fittings?

If there is already a thread looking for reviews of the brands, I apologize, but I didn't see it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Cookie

Reaction score
Uponor is probably your best choice. Whether you run manifold or not is a personal perference. A manifold set up, is probably the easiest. Runing a manifold set up would also, depend on how much flow you are getting through the existing pipes. You might want to bring a home run from the water heater and from where the water first comes into the home for better flow reasons.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You'll likely get many suggestions. I also like Uphonor. Pex pipe has three recognized manufacturing methods, and -A has been around the longest, and is still probably the best way to do it, but it costs more. For that cost, you get a pipe that can be bent into a smaller radius than the others and one that can be restored if you do, for chance, kink it without requiring you to cut the kink out and insert a fitting. Because Uphonor uses expansion to anchor the fitting with their pipe (not that you couldn't use insert, barb, crimp rings with it), the ID of the fitting is larger than it is with any of the other giving less restriction. That along with the greater flexibility means fewer fittings, fewer potential leak points, and fewer failure points. The tool required to do the expansion fittings is not inexpensive, comes in at least two types - manual and powered. You will develop stronger forearms and hands if you opt for the manual tool. You may be able to rent one, or buy it then resell, or pick up a good used one if you don't need one around after the project, reducing your costs. You need a different mindset with pex. To get the best advantage, don't treat it like copper and plan nice straight runs with elbows, etc...while you want to control where it goes, it doesn't have to look pretty - it works better with fewer fittings.

tlt3900

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'm taking everything down to the studs and was planning on removing the old galvanized pipe and use the holes in the studs where I can for the new Pex.

DavidTu

Reaction score
I'll also recommend Uponor... though it's all I've used... I can say that I've plumbed and entire house as an amatuer and I think had zero leaks for the pressure test. The tool can be found online used and that would save a good amount. It's a pretty simple tool (the manual one) and I believe is made of Aluminum so not much can go wrong with it used. The expander heads are the main thing, just as long as they're in good condition there should be no problems. You'll need to pick up some special graphite grease for the tool. I ended up with heads for 1/2", 3/4" and 1". The 1" PEX with the manual tool is actually pretty painful to use... you will get a workout. The 1/2" and 3/4" will not be a problem to use manually though. Uponor website had videos explaining how to make the connections. The only issue you may find is that the manual tool is too large to fit in small spaces so you may have to plan connections around that... or rent the automated tool.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The ID of the Uphonor fittings is (slightly) larger. The volume uses a radius squared factor, so a little change makes a significantly bigger change than it might seem on first look.

Will Rogers Plumbing

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.willrogersplumbing.com
I use Uponor/Wirsbo with expansion connections or Copper crimp rings. Either of those two method I have found to be the best. I actually prefer the copper cimp method ass long as you buy quality pipe and fittings. I use Sioux Chief fittings and rings with CanPEX pipe with the copper crimp method or I use Uponor/Wirsbo pipe and fittings when I use there expansion method.

DavidTu

Reaction score
Is the use of crimps and Uponor tubing officially sanctioned? For an amateur doing his first/only PEX work, I'd be hesitant to go with crimps on Uponor unless it is officially sanctioned. Didn't Zurn end up with a ton of lawsuits because their fittings leaked, and not right away--which is the dasteredly thing!--but years later? The expansion system, especially the manual version, while it may be time consuming and a bit awkward for the pro, seems to give a full-proof assurance to the amateur that I would not be quick to turn away from in pursuit of speed or convenience.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The fitting issue was (as I understand it) a metallurgy issue...the water degraded the metal, weakened it and pitted it or it broke (most often cracked). this could happen to any system if they didn't do their homework and have good qa/qc.

You can make a bad expansion joint as well as a bad crimp joint. Crimp joints may be slightly easier since you can assemble everything, then go back and tighten/cinch the crimp rings. With the expansion system, you pretty much build as you go, so when you get to the end, you're done.

My personal thoughts on this are that with the expansion system, if you get things aligned properly and the fitting inserted all the way, it IS going to be a good joint. And, you won't get to the end and miss one connection and fail to crimp it. Pex has memory...it is always trying to return to its original size and shape - Uponor uses that to create the seal. With a crimp, you have placement issues - the crimp ring must be between the barbs of the fitting, it must be adequately crimped, and you're trying to compress something that wants to return to its full size.

Both work, both require proper installation. Uponor has slightly larger ID through the fittings. Uponor makes only type -Apex, which is the most flexible and has the highest crosslinking of the three types (the other two are -B and -C). Most makers have chosen to use -B or -C production methods because they are a little less expensive. Done right, they work, but there's more room for errors. -Apex is the only type you can recover from a crimp or kink in the tubing without having to cut it out and insert a fitting. Uponor is not the only one making -A tubing, but is probably the only one that makes it in house so they can control the process completely.

I'm guessing here, but Uponor pex probably would work fine with a crimp system, but you CANNOT use their expansion fittings, since the barbs are first, not in the right configuration, and second, you won't be able to insert it without expanding the tubing, which sort of defeats the purpose. If it were to come to a warranty situation, you'd probably lose if you didn't stay 'in the system'. That's unlikely, though.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Uponor pex is not approved for use with crimp fittings and rings and Uponor will not warranty the pipe if crimp rings and fittings are used.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Expansion fittings maintain the inner diameter of the pipe and therefore Uponor's system will flow at a higher rate than other brands using crimp fittings.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
True. But usually not critical. I have 3/8", 1/2" and 5/8" garden hose and the plants all get watered well. Those teenie girls dont need higher flow rates, thats for sure.

My houses get 3 to 5000 feet of uphonor in the slab, what possible good is a warranty - read the 100 pages of lawyer-vomit. Judge a company by its record, not its warranty.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Since I use manifolds and put them in a openable box, my crimps are all accessible, inspectable, and no joints in the wall. Dont need to up up"honors" profit by buying their silly tool. Not to mention that the crimp clamps work all around the house and yard for hoses and air lines.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
You are using PEX for air lines?

I've used it for air off the record. I called Rehau about it and they verbally said the Everloc fitting system was acceptable for air. I used the crimp fittings for my project.....its a friends body shop.....I ran pex through the attic space.....installed extra straps. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks