Toilet bowl etched at water level

Users who are viewing this thread

RhondaLouise

Reaction score
Our toilets are 13 years old. For many years we have used chlorine (Kaboom system) in the tanks and we have a water softener (salt). We are remodeling our bathrooms. Should I quit using chlorine and/or softened water when the new toilets are installed? Did either of these etch the bowl?

Reaction score
Corrosion/etching at the liquid air interface is common in industrial processes. I don't know much about Kaboom, but if it is generating some free HCl in solution then over time I wouldn't be surprised by some etching of the interface--the waterline.

In one of the processes I worked with there was dilute HCl and acetic acid along with organics (some of them chlorinated which decomposed into HCl containing polymer) in the distillation train. Granted, this was boiling water, not room temp. Over the years the ceramic packing in the first distillation tower would have it's aluminum and other minerals leached away. Eventually this would result in some ceramic support failures for the bed. When I shut the column down to repack it the old ceramic was so soft in places that I carved it away with a pocket knife like damp clay.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks