High tank toilet very loud when flushed

Users who are viewing this thread

JaneDibber

Reaction score
We recently installed a high tank toilet. When flushed, a very loud (alarmingly loud) whoosh sound comes from the filler tube. I searched for "quiet flush toilets", but only came up with quiet fill solutions, where my issue is with the flush. Are there any options for limiting the noise from the filler tube has the water leaves the tank? many thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It sounds like it's working perfectly.
You mount the tank high on the wall, and then when it's flushed, the water drops down with much force into the bowl.
In Seattle, many of these were installed to force the water out into the bay when the tides came in. High tank, which dropped with great force pushing the waste and water into the bay.
New toilets, where the tank is attached to the bowl, are called close coupled toilets. It's much easier to have a subtle flush when everything is so close.

In Levenworth, I saw a high tank toilet flush so hard the water almost spun out of the bowl.

JaneDibber

Reaction score
Well, 4ft of gravity surely moves the water, and things appear to work fine, I was just wondering if there was a different fill tube design I could buy to replace the current one. toilet looks nice and flushes well but is as loud as all heck. I probably wouldn't have purchase the toilet if I knew it was going to be so loud.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks