Hybrid View

Default Help identify resin and water softners

Name:  0423121749.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  54.4 KBName:  0423121749a.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  45.3 KBName:  0423121849.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  35.8 KBI am having trouble finding out what kind of power head and resin i have in my water softners. I believe the one is a Fleck 2510 with a tank that is 10"x 47" and the other is a Fleck 3000 series with same size tank, this tank has no brine tube hooked up. The water coming from well has 25 grains, 425 ppm hardness, iron 3ppm and ph at 8.9 and 40-60 psi , there is a sediment filter inline before softners. The softners are at least 15 years old , they were in the house when i bought it ,and the water from the softners is ok but feel like the resin should be replaced some time soon. There are 2 adults living in the house and 2 bathrooms. I contated the name on front of covers and asked about resin and they said it was a "special mix" and wanted to come out tear the head off and take a look, he also wanted to be sure my wife was there when he was there so we could make decision together. So if anyone can help identify sofners and the type of resin that might be used in them would be great.

Scooby7589

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They are not 2510 valves. They may be 2750 or 2500 valves. Considering the age of these units, you have gotten your moneys worth especially considering how bad your water is. The reason they want your wife there is because they are sending a salesman, not a technician, once you told them they were 15 years old... new equipment time to them.

I would recommend replacing the systems in the near future. You will be needing a complete valve rebuild, new media, new manifolds. The tanks and valve bodies are probably fine. Rebuilding these valves is relatively simple, I would rebuild/replace the injector assembly, replace the piston, seals, spacers, brine valve on softener, and replace the medias. The iron system "special blend" is usually nothing more than a couple of standard medias mixed inside the tank.
    Last edited by ditttohead; 04-24-2012 at 04:29 PM.

The bottom one is a Fleck 2500 and the top one is an Autotrol. Probably a 255 series.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    The bottom one is a Fleck 2500 and the top one is an Autotrol. Probably a 255 series.
    Tom, I am missing something. Am I looking at the picture correctly? They are both Fleck valves, the top one has no brine valve, and both have the old designer cover backplate. They are both probably 2500 valves, considering the meter location on the softener. Not likely a 2750 since that meter would be taller behind the valve. Where are you seeing the autotrol? I mean no disrespect, just curious if I am missing something. It would not be the first time.

You are right. For some reason I looked at the top picture and the timer looked like the old Autotrol to me but now that I look closer I believe they are both Fleck 2500's
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Blog Entries

Autotrol/Intermatic did use the 3000 timer on their older pilot controllers many years ago. That is a common timer so the mistake is an easy one. It is amazing how long this timer design can run without fail. I have seen these in service for over 30 years. The 3200 timer was a great replacement too.

What would you recommend for resin in softner, and filter tank?

What are your water conditions?

I bought a test kit from lowes , ph is 8.9 hardness is 25 grains at 425 ppm , iron is 3ppm. Not sure of the type of iron .

When water comes out of spigot clear and stays clear after sitting for a while and no sulfur smell.