(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Noritz NR71: What does the flashing code mean?

Default Noritz NR71: What does the flashing code mean?

Hi,

I'm needing some advice on my tankless. It's been running beautifully for about 16 months but in the past couple of days has stopped heating a few minutes into use.

The front error lamp just flashes repeatedly with no pattern. If I recycle the power on it, it'll start up and give me hot water again but then shut down as before.

I didn't get one of the fancy remote control things so don't have a code to go by.

Any troubleshooting advice?

Thanks very much.

Homeowner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mptrauber View Post
    Hi,

I'm needing some advice on my tankless. It's been running beautifully for about 16 months but in the past couple of days has stopped heating a few minutes into use.

The front error lamp just flashes repeatedly with no pattern. If I recycle the power on it, it'll start up and give me hot water again but then shut down as before.

I didn't get one of the fancy remote control things so don't have a code to go by.

Any troubleshooting advice?

Thanks very much.
    Call a plumber who can connect a remote to get the codes. Your about to spend some money.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Where do you live? IF you have hard water, you might need to descale the insides of the tankless system. This may be secondary to whatever problem there is currently, though. Depending on your water quality and use, the things can require descaling on a yearly basis. This can significantly impact any savings you might get on heating the water, and is one reason why you have to research the things prior to installation to determine your long-term costs and benefits. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

When there isn't an actual display, sometimes they'll flash the error light in a sequence, like 2 short, one long flash. Read your owner's manual, it might let you decode the error without the remote. If so, that should help point you towards the problem. If it's just nice even flashes with no pauses or uneven on times, then this may not help you at all, but first, look for a sequence, then the manual.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Yes. It's just flashing with no pattern. It apparently means "something's wrong" with no more detail than that. The Noritz folks also suggested descaling, so I'll do that first.

Thanks again for the help.

Okay. I know it's been some time, but thought I'd post a follow-up since clearing things up.

Bird's nest in the exhaust. Apparently an anti-bird thimble was left off. And for you nature lovers-and who among us isn't?- we carefully removed the nest and placed it nearby in a tree as the building bird watched.