kerdi shower base with liquid waterproofing on the wall

Users who are viewing this thread

tlt3900

Reaction score
I'm looking at using the Kerdi shower system with their linear drain. I am planning on using the Kerdi products to seal the corners and edges around the shower floor, but then considering on using a liquid waterproofing product on the walls. Any recommendations?

Kilauea

Tile Professional
Reaction score
Website
www.tandctile.net
I installed a Hydroban Linear Drain a couple of weeks ago,and really liked it.Using this system is very easy,and makes more sense since you already want to use a liquid membrane on your walls already.

Lake Cypress,huh?I do quite alot of jobs out there.Beautiful area.Ill be starting a project out there in a couple of weeks in fact.

Kilauea

Tile Professional
Reaction score
Website
www.tandctile.net
Yes,I sanded the face down and fabbed up to it(from drab to fab,lol).Not *required but helps me sleep better.

As for the mortar mixture(3701),no.I use a 4/1 ratio and 4/1/.5 on the curb.I add fortifier to the area around where the drain receptor stands.

I waited about a week before applying the waterproofing elements.The minimum is 72 hours under relative conditions,if Im not mistaken.If I have other projects to do,and the floor can wait,I like to let it sit for as long as possible.

Flood test?No.

Pictures,yes.Laticrete Drain thread.

Im glad stumbled upon this site.There is alot of elbows being rubbed between the tile and plumbing trades,and we can learn alot from each other.Also nice to see some familiar faces.

Hawaii?I am there.In spirit;)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Your best solution is to pick a system and then stick to it...mixing systems means you likely won't have any warranty from anyone. Some are easier to install for a first time DIY'er than others, but properly installed, they all work.

tlt3900

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great advice. I'm definitely going to stick with one brand/methodology and not mix now. I believe I'm going to go with the sheet membrane approach. I have to admit, after searching around and reading through information on the internet, I'm liking the proline drains more and more. Their installation instructions seem very straight forward. Kerdi seems to have good installation instructions as well except for those inconsistencies or questions raised by John such as cutting the sheet around the drain.

One thing I noticed on the installation instructions for Kerdi is that they show all the membranes on the inside/shower side of the wall surface. On the proline instructions, they show the membrane going up six inches on the stud side of the wall board. Having the membranes on the shower side of the wall board makes sense to me.

One thing I'm not crazy about with Schluter is that everything seems so large. Their curb is 6 inches high, their Kerdi line drain is raised by the foam offset they put it on so it matches their tray, which also seems pretty thick. What is their reason for these things being so thick? I suspect the curb can be cut down a bit to make it shorter however.

I'm assuming the concern with the non modified thinset used with Kerdi is that the additives in the modified thinset as suggested with proline make it less porous and better at water proofing?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can build a curb out of many things when using Kerdi - it's just that the surface underneath the Kerdi needs to be compatible with Kerdi. That means if you want to use 2x4's, you need to cover it with something like cbu before installing the Kerdi. Or, if it's on a slab, you can build it out of pavers or bricks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks