(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: 2 questions about softeners

a hard reset and 20 sec of programming did it:thumbsup:

THANX man !!!

i knew it wasn't hard. but something tripped me up, and made it hard.

next question :
    since this thing has been working for about 5 days now. should i do a manual regen this weekend, or just let it do its thing ?

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would push the regen button and release it, that will force the system to regenerate at 2:00 p.m. tonight. You will see the faucet start blinking, this indicates that it is going to regenerate tonight. This will fully regenerate the resin, and it will reset the meter count to the programmed amount. Glad it was an easy program fix.

And a big thanks to DH for telling us how to do a hard reset. Cuz that ain't in the manual! Ain't it nice to be able to have all this knowledge in one little meeting place???

thanx DH.

F6. i thought i saw a hard reset somewhere in the manual, also a soft reset. i just looked and can't find it now, but that is SOP for me.

Well, I am blind, and now you may want to have your eyes checked too, cuz it's on page 12, middle of the page, under RESETS. DOH!!

lol, you ain't tell'n me anything i don't know. i have reading glass's all over the place.

and perhaps you should learn to count (jk. my pages are not even numbered ). mine is on pg5, at the beginning of "master programming mode" .

another question.

what happens if, for whatever reason, it doesn't regen and the water goes hard ?

oh. and, how long can i expect the resin to last ?

Blog Entries

Some comapanies recommend double salting and double regenerating, but in all reality, add an extra gallon of water to the brine tank and manually start a regeneration and you will be fine. The reason for double/double on the regen makes sense on paper, but when all the variables, reserves, efficiency settings, buffers, etc.. are considered, it is rarely needed. It will also not hurt anything to do that, just usually not necessary.

Resin life... 1-30 years. Depends on too many factors including the water quality, water quantity, chlorine/chloramine levels, etc...

The most common sysmptom of bad resin is no water flow. This is caused by the resin breaking down in chlorinated supplies into a mush that water has difficulty passing through. The second most common problem is lowered capacity due to surface fouling. This is easily tested by checking the systems rated capacity vs actual capacity. When softeners are used for iron removal, this is a common proiblem and regular chemical stripping of the resin is recommended to minimize this.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by ditttohead; 06-03-2012 at 10:42 AM.

I kin spael, and I kin kount, two, so quit making fun of me 1,2,3,5,8 times. Hmmm, multiple glasses, perhaps one for each room... Now that might help me out!

Perhaps you have a diff manual, but I got mine here: http://www.pentairwatertreatment.com...al%2042775.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by ditttohead View Post
    Some comapanies recommend double salting and double regenerating, but in all reality, add an extra gallon of water to the brine tank and manually start a regeneration and you will be fine. The reason for double/double on the regen makes sense on paper, but when all the variables, reserves, efficiency settings, buffers, etc.. are considered, it is rarely needed. It will also not hurt anything to do that, just usually not necessary.

Resin life... 1-30 years. Depends on too many factors including the water quality, water quantity, chlorine/chloramine levels, etc...

The most common sysmptom of bad resin is no water flow. This is caused by the resin breaking down in chlorinated supplies into a mush that water has difficulty passing through. The second most common problem is lowered capacity due to surface fouling. This is easily tested by checking the systems rated capacity vs actual capacity. When softeners are used for iron removal, this is a common proiblem and regular chemical stripping of the resin is recommended to minimize this.

Hope this helps.
    that does help, indeed. thanx

Quote Originally Posted by F6Hawk View Post
    I kin spael, and I kin kount, two, so quit making fun of me 1,2,3,5,8 times. Hmmm, multiple glasses, perhaps one for each room... Now that might help me out!

Perhaps you have a diff manual, but I got mine here: http://www.pentairwatertreatment.com...al%2042775.pdf
    i am using the manual that came with the unit.

another question. the brine tank, is there any water in it after a regen ?

Blog Entries

Depends on if it is set for a DFFF or ST2B in the master programming. If you take the cover off, take a picture looking down with an emphasis on the brine valve and cam, I can tell you how it is programmed.

Hope this helps