Well Pump Running

Users who are viewing this thread

garysivertson

Reaction score
I have 3/4 HP Sta Rite Pump that will not stop running. I have installed a new 30 to 50 pressure switch and 0 to 100 PSI gage. No leaks in the system. Pressure tube is clear. Bladder tank is set at 27 psi. Pump will buld pressure to 55 PSI and hold that 55 PSI after it is unplugged. Pump will not stop running with all valves shut. You can open the the faucet at the pump pressure will drop down to 35 PSI, close the faucet and the pressure will build back up to 55 PSI and keep running. Attempted to lower the cut out pressure on switch to 45 lbs and pump still will not cut out.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Was anything done before this problem was noted? If the pump will not build over 55, either the pump is shot or there is a leak in the drop pipe down inside the well.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
55 may just be all that pump can do. But you have a 30/50 switch, so the pump should have shut off at 50 PSI. I think you just need a good pressure switch.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Take a screwdriver and pry up on the switch plate in the pressure switch with the pump running. If it shuts off then either

Bad pressure switch
Pump is not producing enough pressure to shut it off
something is wired wrong (probably the pressure switch)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks