Sta-rite control box troubleshooting

Users who are viewing this thread

road trip

Reaction score
Hello all,

Last night I realized I had no water (1hp submersible pump). I have voltage all the way through the pressure switch to the box on both lines. I pressed the reset button and the box buzzed for a split second, and then nothing. I need help evaluating the start and run capacitors, and the relay. The pump was replaced professionally about a year and a half ago, by a reputable well service. Thanks in advance.

Rick

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Probably should just replace the control box to make sure that isn't the problem. 18 months is not very long to start having problems. Need to figure out what is going on.

road trip

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. After checking resistance between each of the three wires to the pump and checking them against ground (very high, thankfully) I bought a control box Monday.

That did the trick. I would still like to be a better component trouble-shooter, but the box cost less than a capacitor or relay plus a service call so all is well.

By the way, I just saw your location. I'm a Red Raider, but haven't been back to Lubbock in 20 years.
I took my Dad out to Ira (south of Snyder) for a reunion last fall, but that's the closest I've been.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Thanks for the reply. I bought a control box Monday. That did the trick. I would still like to be a better component trouble-shooter, but the box cost less than a capacitor or relay plus a service call so all is well.

Having a rebuilt box is OK. Just not good to use for troubleshooting the pump. You wouldn't know if the pump is bad or if the box still isn't repaired. Having a test motor to check the box with is the only sure way to know the box is working.

Now you just have to figure out what caused the start box to go bad. Excessive cycling on and off is usually what gets the capacitor start box. Then if you just keep putting capacitors and relays in the box without addressing the real problem, you pump will be the next thing to go. If cycling is your problem, you need a Cycle Stop Valve. Most people in the pump industry won't push the CSV because it is considered a disruptive product. It makes pumps last longer and use smaller pressure tanks. This is disruptive to the pump industry the same way refrigerators were disruptive to the ice house business, or automobiles were disruptive to the horse and buggy industry. Cycling enough to blow a start box on an 18 month old pump means you will need a new pump in 5 to 7 years. This is not good for you, but just exactly the way the pump industry planned it.

I bet that wasn't a very big reunion in Ira. The little school where I started has reunion for everybody at the same time. Graduates from all the years show up at the same time, and we might have a couple hundred people. :)

road trip

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I had a leaky valve on my irrigation system, but otherwise the pump doesn't seem to cycle excessively. It may have been a defective relay in the previous box because I used to hear a vibration in the house plumbing when the pump was on and a faucet was running, but I don't hear it anymore with the new control box.

You're right about the reunion. My Dad graduated in 1956, and they had folks from all the 1950's and early 60's there. It was on Homecoming weekend, too, so everybody else was in the Gym for a Saturday afternoon program and there was plenty of room.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Now you can fix the old control box and have a spare.

86 people from head start to seniors the last year I was there. Seven people in my class. Moved to the city before high school and graduated with 600 seniors. Quite a culture shock. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks