Stoves

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
OK..so this is not "plumbing" unless you want to eat on the job.

New law from algore and crew: Effectice April 9, 2012....kitchen ranges my NOT BE MANUFACTURED with a standing pilot. What I am now trying to figure out is..... what does the electiric code think of putting an extension cord from the adjacent counter-top down behind the range ????

This is one of those stealth laws, like the swimming pool ADA lifts, that was simmering for years, and never received any real notice in the general public media, until D-Day!

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
I thought all gas stoves had electric start now, friend gave me one in 1995 it has electric start and it was 5 yrs
old when I got it.still cooking on it today.

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
the appliance should have a dedicated circuit and should not be on a countertop circuit.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
They were still making pilot stoves...right up to April 9. Plenty of old apts around who had those and felt no need to go all hi-tech with the ignition!~

I suspect the easy out will be to use wiremold to run an extension over from the nearest outlet.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Unless the range was a $19.95 blue light special, it already has a console with power to it, so the electronic ignition does NOT need an "extension cord from the adjacent countertop".

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
hj you must be hanging around too many hi-end apartments, because there are a ton of places which never had anything but a standing pilot range, and never had a plug behind the range, because those basic stoves had no clock, no oven light , NO NOTHING!
True, not everyone is affected...but it is a problem for a large number of apartment owners.

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
last time i saw a stove with a standing pilot was from my grandma's basement, circa 1985, and that damn thing was leaking gas when it sat idle... that stove was from the 50's, maybe early 60's. I am not up on gas rages, but even my cheapo buddy got an electric pilot for his section 8 rentals in saginaw, mi that he has. did not see a single standing pilot, and this was at two of the big 3 box box stores we went to, about 5 years ago.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It is what it is. I am now dealing with apartment owners impacted by the change.

Lots of rules like this sneak up on the general public. The average joe does not know that most T12 bulbs will no longer be made after July 1.. Even some T8 bulbs will not be available. Only the ones with 83+ CRI , which cost more. Most people didn't notice that the cost of an energy star dishwasher when up quite a bit on January 1, 2012. The spec. for water use and electric use was tightened, making them cost more

ckl111

Home Builder
Reaction score
I am guessing that if the need exists, there will be a few manufacturers that will come up with a gas stove that doesn't need to be plugged in much like a gas BBQ with a spark ignition. I think it already exists but I'm not sure. The cost is another story and at some point will be prohibitive.

There are older houses that don't have grounded outlets (3 prong) either but at some point they will have to be upgraded. The same will be for a plug behind the stove. Even though it is not code, I provide a 240v outlet, a 120v AND a gas outlet at the stove location so the HO can buy what ever they want now and in the future.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks