Water tank float switch

Users who are viewing this thread

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
I have a 1500 Gallon freshwater tank underground that my well pumps into. From this tank I will use a second pump and pressure tank to pressurize the house. The float switch will turn on and off the well pump to refill the tank. I'm planning on running PVC conduit from the tank to the house (where the controller for the well pump is) for the float switch.

My question is how do you usually get the rubber cord from the tank float switch into the conduit? Do you place a box over it to protect it from the earth or just let it get buried and use a water tight cord grip where it enters the conduit.

Thanks!!!

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Plan on replacing the switch some day. And you should have access to it for testing when you get a system failure and need to troubleshoot it.

I would run a conduit to the tank and bring it above ground to a box that is designed for outside service. It need not be a large box. Then I would run conduit from that box to the controller. If you come into the box from the bottom, it dosen't have to be sealed perfectly. In fact, it is better to let it drain. It is almost impossible to seal a box perfectly and you will usually end up with condensation, and therefore 100% humidity, in a "sealed" but not really sealed box.

If forced to do an underground splice, I would use the sealing shrink tubing materials that are used for submersible pumps. They have a sealant inside the tubing. That means you have to dig a hole to repair it; which is not fun if you live where you get 4 ft of frozen ground.

Speedbump

Reaction score
It wouldn't be a bad to run this float with low voltage. A simple 24 volt transformer can be used to keep it safe and then conduit is not necessarily needed. I assume you are using a relay of some sort to start the pump. All you need is a relay with a 24 volt coil.

bob...

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
I was planning on 24V, but still using conduit and a box to do the connection at the tank. It will also need to pop above ground to get above the foundation to poke through the rim board to get inside. Definitely need the conduit for physical protection.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks