Irrigation System well set up - Myers HJ100D

Users who are viewing this thread

rikmoor

Reaction score
First the data – I live on the coast in NC. I have a 2†well that was used for potable water for years until being annexed. I am converting this to an irrigation well. The well is 98’ deep. I recently installed a new Myers HJ100D – 1Hp pump and am getting 9 GPM at 35psi from an open end garden hose. With a 5 GPM sprinkler head attached, it is pumping at 55psi.

So this seems like a low flow to me. The pump came with a regulator installed. Can I take this regulator off? Or do I just need to back the adjustment screw all the way out for the highest flow? It also has a pressure switch. Should I take this off? Adjusting these didn’t seem to make any difference.

I’m trying to do what I can to get close to 20GPM for my irrigation system. And I want to get the flow maximized before I do my irrigations system design.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Jet pumps require a regulator to hold at least 20# pressure on the system. . . I wouldn't remove the regulator! Depending on the pumping level (which will be hard to determine on a 2" well) 9 gpm at 35# is good for your pump.

rikmoor

Reaction score
One thing I'm going to try is to remove the old pipe/packer/foot valve and replace it all. Didn't want to do this since it will be 100' of pipe but oh well. Seems to be the next logical step if I don't have something I can do on the pump itself. The well is 40 years old. No telling what condition any of that is. And my pump came with a new packer so I might as well send her down. Plus this will give me the opportunity to determine the water level in the well.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks