Explanation of integral overflow on American Standard Princeton tub

Users who are viewing this thread

toddb

Reaction score
I have been trying to understand the advantage of the integral overflow option on some of the American Standard Princeton models (like the 2395.202IBS). It comes with a drain assembly and I had thought the advantage was you didn't have to deal with the separate purchase and install of a tub waste, but the retailer is telling me that I have to purchase a tub waste with this model also.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose? Is that correct?

I tried to talk with an American Standard rep but all I could understand from her was that the integral option model saved some plumbing time/expense, but I'm still not clear on what that savings is exactly.

Thanks for any help here on the explanation.

-Todd

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I have been trying to understand the advantage of the integral overflow option on some of the American Standard Princeton models (like the 2395.202IBS). It comes with a drain assembly and I had thought the advantage was you didn't have to deal with the separate purchase and install of a tub waste, but the retailer is telling me that I have to purchase a tub waste with this model also.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose? Is that correct?

I tried to talk with an American Standard rep but all I could understand from her was that the integral option model saved some plumbing time/expense, but I'm still not clear on what that savings is exactly.

Thanks for any help here on the explanation.

-Todd

I believe the integral overflow is part of an internal overflow system so the benefit of having one is more cosmetic and not really something you will save money on. I imagine it is the exact opposite.

A traditional overflow is exposed and the water runs into it and down to the PTrap. With an integral overflow the water level rises inside the tubs inner walls and inside the tub. I'm not sure I would want this since this area is not seen and would be close to impossible to clean.

Perhaps try calling another American Standard rep and ask again.

I hope this is close to helping you out but I might be way off in left field here.

JW

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You still have to purchase the somewhat expensive drain fitting for the bottom of the tub, because you need a "longer" one with the overflow inlets on the sides, which is ONLY made by American Standard. in addition, the drain opening MUST be exactly under the tub outlet because there is no latitude for movement or adjustment like you get with a conventional waste and overflow.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think they are confused. I found a picture and it shows the drain built into the tub kind of like a sink over flow. The link want work. This is what it says under the picture....."Photograph details integral overflow and drain assembly. Drain assembly included with bath."

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is also an "integral overflow" design which is a "grill" in a recess in the rim of the tub. This one needs a special waste and overflow which "bolts" to the bottom of the grill.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks