20 Year LED Bulb

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the new LED bulb made by Phillips ?

They say it will last for 20 years.

For $50.00 it should.

Buy one and get back to me. Or send me one and I will test it for You, Free of charge.

Thank You.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
That's the L-prize winner for the 60-watt equivalent category. IIRC by accepting the prize Phillips had to agree to a reduction in MSRP down to something like $8/pop within 3 years (or was it 5?) of initial release. They've only been out there for a couple of months, so don't hold your breath, but by the time half your twisty CFLs burn out they'll be affordable.

To meet lifespan spec it needs to maintain greater than 70% of initial brightness at 25,000 hours, and the mean time between failure has to be greater than 25,000 hours when operated in an ambient environment of 45C/113F, and this was verified in testing by the US DOE (testing paid for by the manufacturer.) This isn't a bottom of the line $1 twisty CFL, but I'm sure there are still some dedicated folks out there who can blow them up.

At 90 lumens/watt it's more efficient than any CFL, (including pin-base CFLs designed for ballasted fixtures) and about 2x the efficiency of typical edison-base CFLs.

led1-blog480.jpeg

DonL

Reaction score
Thanks Dana.

Good Info.

They need to send me a few for test so we can get the price down sooner.

They sound good in theory.

Reality is yet to be seen.

Thank You for the info.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I really want to replace all my bulbs to LED. I have not gotten any yet, Keep looking at the prices n lack of any real choices.
Were can I get a few lamp LED bulbs?

DonL

Reaction score
I really want to replace all my bulbs to LED. I have not gotten any yet, Keep looking at the prices n lack of any real choices.
Were can I get a few lamp LED bulbs?

Not sure where you get the good ones.

Kroger maybe ?

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
the prices seem very high. I think I will stick with CFL for now. When I changed over to all CFL's my elec. bill went down :) I just want an led that wll put out the same light as a 60w bulb or 100w bulb at a good price. I dont think many people will buy them while the prices are still high.
When the prices drop more I will get one to try.

aquadood

Reaction score
Your local hardware store should have them Home Depot or Lowes, if you buy them at Walmart or a grocery store they are usually upcharged by 25%. The problem with LED lightbulbs are the amount of heat they put off because of the transformer in the base, you can see that most LED bulbs have huge heatsinks.

Another issue caused by the heatsinks is that the light does not come out at all angles, the light is emitted from the top and upper sides. Below is a typical LED lightbulb for about 12-20$ 7Watts is typical for these bulbs.

8_25.jpg

Cookie

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the new LED bulb made by Phillips ?

They say it will last for 20 years.

For $50.00 it should.

I got one of those, but, I will have to get back to you when I am 78 and let you know, how it did. :)

Buy one and get back to me. Or send me one and I will test it for You, Free of charge.

Thank You.

I got one of those, so, when I turn 78, I will get back to you, and let you know how it did. :)

DonL

Reaction score
I got one of those, so, when I turn 78, I will get back to you, and let you know how it did. :)

I hope you live to see it burn out, and I hope you got a good price for it.

You will outlast it, I would bet on it.

Cookie

Reaction score
They were gifts. I got 3. I don't know what he paid. I hit the long shots, I will live to be older than dirt. :) I will hit the big lottery someday, when I am 99 and can't walk in stiletto's anymore. lol.

Wow, just had an idea. When I am 99, I will put stiletto's on my walker instead of those tennis balls.... see, always a solution to dilemma's.

Plus, I have to live to be older than dirt to piss off a certain rellie.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks