Submersible Pump in Above-ground Pool

Users who are viewing this thread

RSquirrel

Reaction score
Application: Dedicated Submersible Pump (separate from the pool filter pump) to provide water circulation through roof-mounted solar collector

Pool: 3000-gallon swim-in-place, metal-tube frame with vinyl liner (all equipment and metal components bonded). Circulation pump and heater fed by 30-amp, double-pole GFCI breaker

Submersible Pump: 1/6 HP, 6-amp, 120VAC, placed directly into pool.

Submersible Pump Circuit: Dedicated GFCI Duplex receptacle.

Monitoring: Weekly testing of GFCI receptacle.

Question: Does the above system provide adequate protection for swimmers in the event of submersible pump failure?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you are talking about a general purpose utility submersible pump...Flotec/wayne/etc..... you will void the warranty and have early pump failure. They are designed for intermittent running, not for a continous application like a pond pump, or even semi-continuous like a pool pump.

Reaction score
A submersible pump? Are you using that primarily because it is simple to install?

To expand on jimbo's note, a pump designed for the purpose, (and ask jimbo for details) that is not in the pool, but rather pulls water out of the pool and pumps it up to the roof can be installed with much less risk to the swimmer if it is remote from the pool. It would still be protected by a gfi.

Or it would seem to me.

RSquirrel

Reaction score
If you are talking about a general purpose utility submersible pump...Flotec/wayne/etc..... you will void the warranty and have early pump failure. They are designed for intermittent running, not for a continous application like a pond pump, or even semi-continuous like a pool pump.

Actually, the pump I am referring to (Simer 2305) is rated for continuous duty. And yes (re: "Homeownerinburb"), this is to make it simple to install. I am experimenting to see if the design (gleaned from various sources on the web, including one that does use a submersible) ill serve my needs. I don't want to invest in a more costly "permanent" pump unless and until I know this system is viable. But I am, of course, concerned about safety. If the system works satisfactorly, I will switch to a more robust and permanent pump.

So, if you would please still indulge me with my orginal question - Is the initally-described concept sufficiently safe for a trial period (i.e. will the GFCI provide adequate protection in case of pump failure)?

p.s. And the second question: Per "Homeownerinburb's" comment, do you have any suggestions for an "out-of-water" low flow (300 - 600 gpm) pump with 10-20 psi head capabilities?

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
RSquirrel
You have a great idea. I think you would be well advised to listen to what some of these guys are saying. Many of these guys have been doing DIY or Pro work for years. They joind this forum to teach others n learn new tricks. That is why I joined.
If your going to use it with out any people in the pool do what you like. If you are using this to heat your pool some while people are in it please be very carefull. The best system I have seen had the pump cut in via filter hoses. These were nothing compared to what your doing.
I would love to see some sketches of your plans or even pics.
Please be safe with all your DIY projects.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't know...but you need to find out....if the VGB laws about drain covers, SVRS, etc. apply to an above ground pool in your size range.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
If you use a little m-53 zoeller, the suction intake is at the bottom and no vortex will occur to stick your gut to the bottom of the pool. sound like a neat idea to me. They all love to run full time, no problem when submerged. You need a REAL GFCI.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Actually, I would be more concerned with the ability of that pump to circulate enough water up to the roof, even though it is a "balanced system" to heat the water. What are you using for the "collector"? If it is a plastic mat, you should have a "drain down" option to prevent collapse when the water overheats and the pump is not circulating the water.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Question: Does the above system provide adequate protection for swimmers in the event of submersible pump failure?

Safety should not be a issue.

That is a oil filed pump and should be safe when used with a GFCI receptacle and a 3 wire grounded ac Cord.

Plumb Confused

Reaction score
I know, I know old thread.

But I really only like electrics around the pool when it is safely done.

I am looking for a CERTIFIED submersible pump for hot tub or swimming pool use.
Still have not found one, it may be a Unicorn.

This is what Simer pumps says about that pump on their own website.

This pump has not been investigated for use in swimming pool areas.
Not designed for use as a swimming pool drainer.

Do not walk on wet area until all power has been
turned off.

I don't think ALL of that was put in just to appease the lawyers. SOME of that advice you might actually want to follow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks