(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Submersible Pump in Above-ground Pool

Default Submersible Pump in Above-ground Pool

Application: Dedicated Submersible Pump (separate from the pool filter pump) to provide water circulation through roof-mounted solar collector

Pool: 3000-gallon swim-in-place, metal-tube frame with vinyl liner (all equipment and metal components bonded). Circulation pump and heater fed by 30-amp, double-pole GFCI breaker

Submersible Pump: 1/6 HP, 6-amp, 120VAC, placed directly into pool.

Submersible Pump Circuit: Dedicated GFCI Duplex receptacle.

Monitoring: Weekly testing of GFCI receptacle.

Question: Does the above system provide adequate protection for swimmers in the event of submersible pump failure?

If you are talking about a general purpose utility submersible pump...Flotec/wayne/etc..... you will void the warranty and have early pump failure. They are designed for intermittent running, not for a continous application like a pond pump, or even semi-continuous like a pool pump.

DIY Senior Member Homeownerinburb's Avatar

A submersible pump? Are you using that primarily because it is simple to install?

To expand on jimbo's note, a pump designed for the purpose, (and ask jimbo for details) that is not in the pool, but rather pulls water out of the pool and pumps it up to the roof can be installed with much less risk to the swimmer if it is remote from the pool. It would still be protected by a gfi.

Or it would seem to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    If you are talking about a general purpose utility submersible pump...Flotec/wayne/etc..... you will void the warranty and have early pump failure. They are designed for intermittent running, not for a continous application like a pond pump, or even semi-continuous like a pool pump.
    Actually, the pump I am referring to (Simer 2305) is rated for continuous duty. And yes (re: "Homeownerinburb"), this is to make it simple to install. I am experimenting to see if the design (gleaned from various sources on the web, including one that does use a submersible) ill serve my needs. I don't want to invest in a more costly "permanent" pump unless and until I know this system is viable. But I am, of course, concerned about safety. If the system works satisfactorly, I will switch to a more robust and permanent pump.

So, if you would please still indulge me with my orginal question - Is the initally-described concept sufficiently safe for a trial period (i.e. will the GFCI provide adequate protection in case of pump failure)?

p.s. And the second question: Per "Homeownerinburb's" comment, do you have any suggestions for an "out-of-water" low flow (300 - 600 gpm) pump with 10-20 psi head capabilities?

There should never be a pump in the pool while swimmers are in the pool. There are many cases where swimmers have been killed or injured from being trapped under water or caught by the force of a single inlet pump. You would be better tie in with the existing plumbing.

http://swimming.about.com/od/swimmin...rainsafety.htm
    Last edited by Smooky; 04-19-2012 at 12:07 PM.

RSquirrel
    You have a great idea. I think you would be well advised to listen to what some of these guys are saying. Many of these guys have been doing DIY or Pro work for years. They joind this forum to teach others n learn new tricks. That is why I joined.
    If your going to use it with out any people in the pool do what you like. If you are using this to heat your pool some while people are in it please be very carefull. The best system I have seen had the pump cut in via filter hoses. These were nothing compared to what your doing.
    I would love to see some sketches of your plans or even pics.
    Please be safe with all your DIY projects.
    I'm just starting to work with an old friend of mine to bring solar electric and hot water systems, wind turbines, Flex Fuel Boilers, batteries, hydroponic gardening, books, pellet grills and more. Also the parts for DIY installation.

I don't know...but you need to find out....if the VGB laws about drain covers, SVRS, etc. apply to an above ground pool in your size range.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

If you use a little m-53 zoeller, the suction intake is at the bottom and no vortex will occur to stick your gut to the bottom of the pool. sound like a neat idea to me. They all love to run full time, no problem when submerged. You need a REAL GFCI.

Actually, I would be more concerned with the ability of that pump to circulate enough water up to the roof, even though it is a "balanced system" to heat the water. What are you using for the "collector"? If it is a plastic mat, you should have a "drain down" option to prevent collapse when the water overheats and the pump is not circulating the water.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Quote Originally Posted by RSquirrel View Post
    Question: Does the above system provide adequate protection for swimmers in the event of submersible pump failure?

Safety should not be a issue.

That is a oil filed pump and should be safe when used with a GFCI receptacle and a 3 wire grounded ac Cord.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net