Shallow well pump issue

Users who are viewing this thread

kddeford

Reaction score
Hello all,

I think i messed up. I only have a rudimentary knowledge of well pumps (installed/piped this one a year ago).

I have a Hydrostar 1hp shallow well pump (a harbor freight cheapie). I found an old shallow well on the property and piped this in for watering my vegetable gardens. Well I got the bright idea that I would drain the pool down a few thousand gallons and refill it with this well. I figured if i only ran it half pressure for half an hour at a time and then gave it half an hour off it would work. Well when it was time to stop for the night I turned it off and unplugged the pump (it was operating fine when i unplugged it). Today when I got home I screwed on the nozzle and started watering my garden. After about five gallons of water it dryed up and then i remembered that i hadn't plugged the pump back in. To make a long story a little shorter after plugging it in nothing happened so I confirmed power in the plug, made sure the bladder still had 28 pounds of pressure (it was a little low so i boosted it back up) and tried again. Regrettably nothing happened.

Now I did notice that the pressure gage is at zero even though the bladder reads 28 when checked manually (with a tire gage).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Kenny

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The pressure tank has nothing to do with your problem. Either you still don't have power to the motor, or the motor has an open circuit and needs to be replaced.

kddeford

Reaction score
yep

You were one hundred percent correct. Apparently something happened to the powercord. I cut it off and replaced three quarters of it with a new cord and the pump kicked on without a problem.

Thanks valveman, you probably saved me a couple hundred dollars replacing the setup.

Kenny

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks