1" K copper to 1" PRV connection

Users who are viewing this thread

fortop

Reaction score
I will be connecting an existing 1" K copper tubing water line to a 1" pressure reducing valve on the house side of the curb box (water meter) underground. What type of PRV and fittings should be used? The PRVs I see are female iron pipe. Is there a 1" male iron pipe to flare fitting to connect to the 1" tubing? Thanks.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
PRVs are normally connected with unions. PRVs are not iron, they are brass. The threads are the same as iron pipe, but you certainly don't want iron pipe in your water system. My PRV is inside the house right after the line enters. I guess they can be outside if you want it there. Do you already have a thermal expansion tank? If not, plan on adding that to the supply line between the water heater and PRV.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Most PRVs have a "dual" union/FIP connection on both ends. The union can be either a slip sweat joint or fip threaded, AND the PRV may have one or two unions, but always at least one since the code requires that the outlet have a union connection for testing purposes. HOW you make the connection depends on your abilites and which tools you have. A 1" male flare adapter would be difficult for a DIYer to install unless he had the proper flaring tool which few would have, and it would have to be "soft" copper tubing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks