PRV placement relative to ball-valve

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidTu

Reaction score
Does it matter if pressure reducing valve is placed before or after the building supply main on/off ball valve?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Seems to me the ball valve should shut everything off, so I put my valve where the supply line enters the house which is about 4 feet above the basement floor. The PRV is a couple of feet above that. This is one reason why I can't understand why someone would put their PRV at the meter.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
When the PRV is at the meter it is to keep the high pressure out of the pipe to the house. SInce there is a valve at the meter, the PRV can be anywhere after the meter, regaridless of where the house valve is.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
HJ is of course correct, but if the supply line to the house is in such poor condition it can not withstand the high pressure, you will have a supply line problem in you very near future.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It does not have to be "poor", the main pressure could be so high, (which is why the PRV is needed), that it exceeds the recommendation for the plastic line used. Or someone may not trust the plastic to not fail at city pressure.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While maybe not common, there are places where you need TWO PRVs, plumbed in series to drop the pressure to an acceptable level. So, if it was REALLY high, the utility might get it down to very high, then let you deal with it to drop it further, if needed. There's a limit on how much a prv can drop the pressure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks