Nuisance electric water heater over temp trip

Users who are viewing this thread

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
My hot water heater has a mind of its own.

It used to only happen when we went on vacation but now it's about every three weeks.

The water will get really hot and the over temp safety will trip. I will have to wait for it to cool and then reset. This will go on for five or six days and then stop. It will then work normally for several weeks.

It is a dual element electric.

How do I fix?

to go roundabout, just replace the cheap,reliable, though relatively unsafe controls that lurk inside residential "Yugo" waterheaters. And check your elements to see that they are not leaking power to the water.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
BINGO

Before retiring, I managed a service organization. We seviced all kinds of heavy duty equipment. One device had 3 phase 240 Vac 100 amp supply, and as long as the safety covers are installed it was safe electrically. Also we had some 480 volt 100 amp equipment installed which my reps serviced. Remove the covers on any of these devices and you expose yourself to some pretty hefty live contacts, just like a water heater with covers removed.

Electric water heaters have historically been exceptionally safe electrically as they are currently designed and manufactured. Of course this assumes that one understands how they are wired and follows proper servicing guidelines. I just did a quick search and found that in a 4 year period there were 12 electrocution deaths directly related to electric water heaters. I would not be surprised if these all were unqualified people trying to service one with the safety covers removed. Reguardless that is a pretty low number. My other hobby is as a private pilot. In that same time period there were almost 1,500 people killed in the US in private aircraft accidents.

Bingo! your 3 phase unit had a relay - 20 to 50 bucks that shut off ALL THREE LINES.

Bingo! your residential yugo water heater is dumbed down SO LOW that they cant add a .5 cent sticker saying : "we are cheap: danger, one line to an element is always hot, even thought its immersed in water" i.e. NO warning label.

Hey - dont drive, dont fly and you upped your odds of dying of a broken hip or alheizemers by 99%. Add a 6 cent double pole switch to cheap water heaters, and you saved at least 10 lives. pretty fair return on investment.

By the by - no one without a death wish opens a metal cover on a 480 volt box without shutting the breaker and wearing approved gloves and garb and a good mat.

Last edited:

JerryR

Reaction score
By the by - no one without a death wish opens a metal cover on a 480 volt box without shutting the breaker and wearing approved gloves and garb and a good mat.

We worked on 480 volt devices and removed equipment safety covers all the time without gloves / garb and mats. We just shut off the supply breakers to the devices first, just like you should when working on residential water heaters. If you Understand the circuit and wire diagram and follow proper safety procedures they are all safe.

The only additional safety procedure my reps were required to follow when working on the 480v devices was to install a lockout on the breaker at the breaker panel to prevent a passerby from resetting the breaker by mistake.

Jerry

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks