(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New RO, Reverse osmosis

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am aware of that system. It is an excellent choice and will serve you well for many years. The only thing I dont like about it is the ERP-1000, I prefer the ERP-500 if it is going to be installed under a sink where it can be heard. The ERP-1000 is a great permeate pump, but it is "clicky" It makes a click noise that is noticable by many when it is installed under a sink in the kitchen. Most people dont notice it. Definetly a great choice.

Dittohead,

Thanks for the receommendation. When I Googled the ERP-500, I also found the following:

Pentek RO-2500 4-Stage 50 GPD RO System w/ERP-500 Permeate Pump Kit
    • 50 Gallon Per Day GE Osmonics Desal TFM-50 Thin Film Composite Membrane
    • Pentek P5 5 micron polypropylene sediment filter
    • Pentek EPM-10 for Chlorine Removal,
    • Inline GAC Postfilter K2533-BB

Quote Originally Posted by bcpumpguy View Post
    Waste water ratio as far as i know is not determined by air pressure, every ro i know runs at about 1:3 rejection rate meaning 1 part permeate to 3 parts concentrate.
    In my observations, When the tank is empty and beginning to fill, I get about three drops of concentrate for every drop of permeate. As the tank fills, it increases to about 5 drops and then before the system shuts down, I see a steady stream of concentrate water. I pull the line to the tank and the concentrate returns to about three drops, again. It is not a scientific examination but a pretty clear observation. My conclusion was that as pressure increases against the membrane there is a ratio change from permeate production and concentrate going to the drain.

Yes Ro membranes can be run at all kinds of diffrent ratio, you can run no rejection whatsoever if you wanted to.
    By completely stopping/plugging the drain flow? Naturally, that can't be recommended as it would defeat the purpose of an RO.

In all RO's that we sell rejection ratio is is a figure of drain flow restriction combined with pressure. As the RO fills up the tank, pressure diffrence between the tank and incoming water begins to equalize slowly closing off the membrane valve that controls flow to the membrane. If the pressure in the tank drops the mebrane opens up flow again and the ro begins to make water.
    So as the tank fills the flow rate of permeate production drops eventually shutting down completely, right?

the wow design must have backpressure on the membrane, unless the water creating the mechanical pressure to push out permeate trough the fawcett magically disapears when the RO makes water.
    Not really magically at all. The patented valve releases it faster than incoming water. I think it creates a small negative pressure allowing incoming water not only to have no back pressure but 'invites' water to enter the membrane.

You say 35-45 gallons per day, the literature says it has a 50GPD membrane I wonder what temperature water with how much tds and what the Ph of your water is?
    I couldn't find anywhere in the literature where it states it has 50gpd membrane. If you have different information, please let me know. It does say it has a 50gpd capacity. I assumed that means a system capacity not that of the membrane. The rounding of numbers like that, though, I find are estimates (why not 48.6 or 53.2?) and should not be taken as definitive. Incoming pressure, temperature and TDS, among other factors, affect water production of any RO system. My estimates of 35-45gpd coming from installing one and judging by how long it takes to fill and shut off. Again, external factors can great allow for differences. Just my personal observations.

the pile of ruptured pressure tanks at my shop would tend to argue with the remote posibilty of contamination.
    I, too, have a "small" pile of failed bladders from air-charged tanks. I never denied the possibility of contamination. As of yet, I have heard of no WOW barriers failing in that regard. This doesn't exclude the possibilities but in my persoanl experience, I haven't seen one yet.

don't get me wrong I like the idea of the wow design, but I would never say it is better then an aircharged tank.
    I appreciate your experience and stated opinions. No problem. I have gone that route and now have switched for many reasons including what I feel as advantages of WOW tank approach to RO systems. I think the next best approach is atmospheric tank designs when space is available and demand is required. The WOW tank designs do have a few handicaps but not really a hinderance, yet.
    It was an INSIDE JOB!!!!

Default Watts Premier RO PURE RO-4: Amazon Customer Reviews

Amazon Customer Reviews are mostly positive. However, there were several complaints about signifcant faucet leaks and that the tank was adding a plastic/rubber taste/smell to the water. One person even suggested replacing the Watts tank with an Amtrol to solve the taste issue. Pehaps buy an RO-4 w/o a Watts faucet & tank? Who makes a quality-oriented leak-free RO faucet?

Are there any other recommend ROs?

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Well-man View Post
    Amazon Customer Reviews are mostly positive. However, there were several complaints about signifcant faucet leaks and that the tank was adding a plastic/rubber taste/smell to the water. One person even suggested replacing the Watts tank with an Amtrol to solve the taste issue. Pehaps buy an RO-4 w/o a Watts faucet & tank? Who makes a quality-oriented leak-free RO faucet?

Are there any other recommend ROs?
    Most RO manufacturers have multiple sources for components. I know whos tank they are using now, and they are great quality. Same for the faucets, all of the companies were sourcing from just a couple of faucet manufacturers, and there were some leak issuses, this has since been resolved. I would not worry about it. For the most part, reviews are going to be from the unhappy customers, not the satisified people, so take the reviews for what they are, unhappy people venting, and a few satisfied customers sharing their experience.

FYI, they are one of my competitorsso I have no interest in promoting that product.

Quote Originally Posted by ditttohead View Post
    I know whos tank they are using now, and they are great quality. Same for the faucets, all of the companies were sourcing from just a couple of faucet manufacturers, and there were some leak issuses, this has since been resolved.
    Good to know - thanks!