American Standard a Lost Cause? Toto Recommendation? Dual Flush Parts=New Toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Achilles Heal

Reaction score
We had picked up a Cadet 3 at Home Depot but haven't installed it. Today I've been cruising through these forums and the trend seems to be that American Standard is a lost cause. Now I'm thinking of returning it. Comments?

Seems like most recommend Toto. We have a Toto dealer in our city but were turned off with a four week delivery timeframe (our main bathroom is only good for that right now - bathing). We originally had a 1986 American Standard in gray that developed a cracked tank with (luckily) minimal leakage, but can't get gray anymore (seems like we can't from any manufacturer) to match the old sink and bathtub. So we went shopping around.

If we go with Toto, are there recommendations on which unit? Here's what we had for criteria and could use comments on each:

1. We have over 12" from bolts to wall for install in main floor bathroom.
2. Want to install 6 litre or less flush unit. We were thinking dual flush because we were told by someone at Home Depot that a 4.8 litre flush leaves a lot less water in the bowl and results in 'messiness'. But then we were told by someone at Lowe's that we should avoid dual flush because the design is so integrated into the lid and tank that any parts replacements would require a complete toilet replacement. This sounds bizarre?
3. We're thinking of elongated rather than round bowl, and higher height.
4. Were told by a plumber friend that we should ensure the trap is glazed to lessen potential clogging.
5. Guess we're stuck with getting white.

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Your Cadet might install and work fine...but then again, it might not, and that's the problem.

Many of the Toto units would meet your specs...read Terry's Toilet evaluations on his home page (link above). A solid choice would be the Drake II, but there are lots others if you like their looks better. My mother has two Drakes, I have a Vespin and a Carlyle - they all work well.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's widely believed, although not proven, that AS unloads what might be called factory seconds or blems to discount houses at a very low price. Defects run around 25% on AS toilets purchased from discount centers. If you feel you want to go with AS, inspect the entire toilet before leaving the store. Yes, they will replace it later, but it save you a lot of time if you can discover the defects before taking it home. Defective Toto are less than 1%. Toto toilets are not sold in discount centers, but they are seldom sold at MSRP. You have a standard 12" rough-in which gives you the entire Toto line to choose from.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most dual flush toilets will have a bit less water in the bowl. Not a lot less though. I have some customers that really like their dual flush bowls. And parts can always be replaced if needed. The dual flush toilets I work with are easy to work with, with the exception of the WDI Ecoflush unit. I won't sell those.

I mainly sell elongated bowls, and fewer round bowls. The taller bowl is coming into favor with an aging population.

Most traps are glazed, even if it's a barely perceptible clear glaze. I prefer a trapway that is a little rough to prevent the paper from sticking to the smooth porcelain. A little texture allows the water to get under the paper and wash it away.

For colors, I think Kohler has the most options. Matching your gray may be tough though.

chrisf8657

Reaction score
We've had our Cadet for about 2 years now and It works great.
Just make sure there are no issues with the China or glazing before installing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks