Corian Shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I have a customer that wants me to put in a 5 sided custom built Corian shower with 2 valves, 8 shower heads, 2 double sized seats, steam generator, lights, and door.

My question is with the Corian. I have done plenty of showers but never Corian. I've never even watched one being done. Is there anyone who has done a few whos brain I could pick about this.

Thanks !!!!!

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Does not sound like she had Corian. Have used it in kitchens, bathrooms, including showers. Never had a problem with hot pots, or staining. Excessive heat like a cigarette can melt it but can also be sanded out, not like cultured marble. There are a bunch of Corian like products on the market, like anything else some are better than others. I have ripped some of them out and replaced with Corian, in those cases no comparison.

You will have some problems trying to buy it if you are not a Dupont certified installer. It is not hard to install but there are the tricks of the trade and no no's.

Paul

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Just my personal opinion, but I never liked Corian countertops because of the matte finish. Yes, it can be polished to a degree, but it is basically still matte. I just like something shinier.

The popularity of course was due to the array of available colors and textures., and the ability to have a molded sink, in matching or contrasting colors. The price was favorable compared to granite.

Today, Corian and granite price out about the same it seems.

Haven't used corian in a shower. I wonder how it handles soap scum buildup, and how easy does it clean up?

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Everything in life seems to have it's trade off's. I have seen Corian taken to a high polish, but I doubt it is very practical.

For a shower, it is very easy to keep clean. No grout lines, a squeegee makes for easy clean up. Occasional light cleaner for any remaining soap scum. However, not what I would call a low price option.

Yes, the price can come close to granite unless, it is granite your wife falls in love with then $$$$$$$ :)

Paul

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
We have had plenty of Corian installations and they are always done by certified installers except for one homeowner install which made use of this ugly strip to join two sections of a tub wall.

I would absolutely recommend subcontracting the Corian out. Also consider Florestone if available in your area.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys !!!!!!!
The shower doesn't have to be Corian brand but some sort of solid surface other than tile or plastic. i was just concerned because I had heard neg. comments about Corian in a shower/steam room and I guess it is the looks and not anything else.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Corian

True Corian should only be installed by, certified installers in order to get the manufacturer's guarantee. I had a Corian showers in my previous home and had no problems with them.

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
We have a Corian shower; it was there when we bought the house. No problems at all with keeping it clean. No nooks and crannies for gunk to grow or build up.

I don't like that you have to be a certified installer to buy Corian. Seems like Dupont could sell more product if they offered it to the general public.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I am not a certified installer, but have installed it under the watchful eye of a friend who is.

It is my opinion that there would be a lot of unhappy consumers if they just put it on the market for anyone to install.

Paul

Barzstuff

Reaction score
Caulking for Corian shower

I have a solid Corian shower that is about 6 years old. The caulking between the walls and the floor has begun to loosen and mold/mildew/black stuff is getting in behind it. I have been able to pull some of this old caulking out.

2 questions...
• Is there a particular type of caulking that I should use?
• Is there any special cleaning procedure needed to be sure the caulking will adhere?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That may be one reason why they don't sell it to non-professionals. One of the big benefits of that kind of solid surfacing material is that it can be basically welded together - no caulk. Yours may not actually be Corian, but a knockoff. For a joint to hold with caulk, it has to be squeaky clean, dry, and not too big. Then, you have to let it cure long enough per the manufacturer's instructions. Some caulks cannot be successfully used in a shower - they can't take the constant water exposure. A 100% silicon typically can handle it, but is probably the hardest to install, and, you have the smallest choice of colors.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks