Hose to valve. Solid pipe or hose, which is better?

Users who are viewing this thread

bnbhoha

Reaction score
I'm about to install a few toilets in a muliti-plex. I noticed that the ones in my home have a simple solid pipe that goes from the toilet tank to the valve. At HD they have the hose with the metal mesh and a white colored one. Does it make a difference or is there a preference in which onw to use. Thanks

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The "metal mesh" is braded stainless these will work and are the best of the flex lines. If you want to be sure that the line never bursts use the "solid" supply lines.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Solid lines ( chrome plated copper) are the cadillac. They are used much less commonly today because the braided lines are so easy.

It takes a little "touch" with the solid line. They usually require 2 offset bends to line up. Best to use a tubing bender, because if you try to do it by hand and crimp the line, it is ruined.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hose

The white vinyl ones can, and will, burst over time as they grow because of the pressure. the ends can also snap off spontaneously. Use the stainless steel ones.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
hj, this problem of the end snapping off was notorious with the white plastic lines. The insert nipple which the tubing was crimped to was plastic , so the results were predictable. However, I haven't seen a non-metal insert in some years. I thought everyone changed to metal . Maybe not. I still prefer the compostite braid ( non-metallic, looks like SS). It is a strong as SS but does not get condensation and corrosion on it like the SS does.

I have never seen any braided line suffer a catastrophic failure, which can happen in other types.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks