Noisy plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have been in the well & pump business for many years, however I have run across two jobs recently with the same problem, noisy plumbing. The noise is in the trunk line, about 15' away from the tanks. The noise sounds like a Clarinet is being played when the water is turned off at a faucet or toilet. I have checked the tanks for proper pressure, one was a Well X Trol, the other a Well Rite. Annular pressure between bladder and shell was 38psi each. The pumps were drawing the correct running amps, dead head pressure against a valve & gauge was within specs given the size of pump, pump setting and static level. The pumps are hung on 1" 160 psi poly with 1"160 psi poly offsets. The trunk lines are 3/4 copper tubing with 1/2 branches going to the sinks & toilets. The noise seems to occur when the system is at the high end of the pressure differential, 60-65 psi. The noise occurs even if the pump is not running, so it isn't due to vibrations in the wet end of the pump unit. The noise can't really be felt or heard in the tanks, so I don't think it is a check valve problem. Both systems use ball valves rather than stop and waste valves. On the job today if you put your hand on the pipe where the noise is coming from it muffled it a bit, but you could still feel the sound coming through the floor.......The houses are about 20 years old.

Any ideas?

Young_apprentice

Reaction score
Hey criag jeeze tough question, As a well guy for many years im sure you know a whole lot it seems like you covered alot of ground here, im not really a well person (yet) but i like tossing around ideas and i have a couple and i think maybe I have an answer that might be semi- plausible :eek:

1. Craig have you thought about the possibility of air collecting or getting stuck in the piping? I know that air can get famously stuck at the high points in the Potable water systems and make alot of noise. But its usally noisy when the the pressure increases such as when the pump starts its cycle. The Trapped air i think usally sounds more like tapping noise kinda like expanding heat pipes hitting wood. Now i dont mean water hammer hear or banging vibrating noises im assuming you know what that is ;). But then again im not so sure that this is a good "diagnosis" cuz you said its making a high pitched reedy clairnet noise even when the pump isn't running and that doesn't sound like trapped air (i could be wrong too) your could try opening all the taps when the pumps on at a high pressure see if you get any air out .

I see you said that you hear the noise at the fixtures. Check the Inlet to the fixture shut off valves. That 65psi water is alot of pressure especially when being forced into a narrow opening of a valve that i bet could create a noise.

3. You mentioned the noise is most prominent when you turn off the fixtures. Does that mean their filling? or no water to them. Because if the noise is being emitted from the fixture from the toilet would probably be a faulty fill valve or a bad facuet washer that squeals as the water rushes past the bad washer.

4. It could be sediments blocking up the pipes. Espsically if its hard water depositing Sediments in the pipes constricting it creating a noise

5. lastly Old spring loaded disc check valves if old (you said house was 20 years old) can whine as the disk wears out and the tension in the spring loosens causing it to "wear out"

IDK just some ideas for fun let us know if you figure it out Good luck

Sometimes the water flowing through pipes can make loud whistling noises. This sound is probably caused by dirty or hard water that is depositing sediment in the pipes. As the sediment grows, the pipes become constricted and can create whistling noises. If the whistling is only coming from area, a particular valve may be the culprit. Otherwise, consider buying new filters or a water softener to help mitigate the problem.

Read more: Noisy Pipes and Water Problems | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_12131238_noisy-pipes-water-problems.html#ixzz1ryFRzaZX

Read more: What Causes Noise in Pipes When Water Pump Goes On? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_7256119_causes-water-pump-goes-on_.html#ixzz1ryD2IogU

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
what is happening in the house when the sound occurs? It could be a faucet or toilet valve and the sound is being transmitted through the piping, until it reaches a spot where it can become evident. Not the same as your system, but I had a customer who complained that the water heater was humming when water was used in the house. The sound was coming from the pressure regulating valve outdoors, but could only be heard in the tank.

Young_apprentice

Reaction score
yeah apparently it could even be the impeller or something internal all messed up and the sound its being transmitted through the piping--- i did not know that

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks