Well Filtering / Softener Recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

JDM

Reaction score
I've been waiting in the background while waiting for the results of my water analysis. I would sincerely appreciate your recommendations on the type of filtering we need for our well. We are building a new home and have not connected anything to the well yet. The well was installed in 2007 and tested at that time. I just had the tests repeated at a certified lab after letting the well run for 30 - 60 minutes. (is that long enough?)

I realize that we need to filter the iron, manganese and H2S. I am trying to determine if we would see much benefit from a softener. I've done enough research here on the forum to understand the preferred valves. I would really appreciate your recommendations on the specifics of the system you would install. Tank size?, media?, chlorine injection for backwash?, etc..

Apr 2012
Hardness (gr/gal) 3.9 (5 in 2007)
Hardness (mg/l) 66
TDS (mg/l) 84 (108 in 2007)
Iron (mg/l) 0.3 (1.4 in 2007)
Manganese (mg/l) 0.08
pH 6.6 (7.35 in 2007)
Tannin (mg/l) <0.2
Calcium (mg/l) 18
Magnesium (mg/l) 5.2
Nitrates (mg/l) ND
H2S (smell) Yes

Thanks!
Joe
Snohomish County, WA

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Need to know how many people in the house. Approximate flow from your well, or pump size (hp/gpm). What condition is your piping in, especially the size of the main(s) and if you have any high flow applications

JDM

Reaction score
We are building a new house, 4500 sq ft, three bathrooms. There will be only two of us in the house but we are planning ahead for lots of guests and grandkids.

I have not been able to determine the flow rate from the well yet because the pump controller went out after we got our sample. I have a new controller and will be going out today. Our builder ran it before and he said the water went about 8-feet horizonatally from the hose he was using from a hydrant next to the well. The pump is a 1.5hp Flint & Walling. I am hoping it produces at least 10 gpm. Can you estimate based on the pump data?

I had them run a 1.25" line to the house and requested that they use a "good size" feed line through the house. I can't say what they used though and it is all covered with insulation now. I did notice that they ran 1/2" to the hose bibs which would be the only high-flow applications in case I run some irrigation at some point for the grass. We have "old school" showers with only one head. No high-flow needs there but we do want good pressure. It is all Pex.

Thanks!
Joe

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You don't mention if you are going to have any large tubs, 2 person showers or any body sprays. That info is needed to size any water treatment equipment.

Your 4 gpg of hardness is sufficient to cause hard water spots and scale buildup in any type of water heater.

You do not need to know the recovery rate pm of the well or the output gpm of the pump if the pump and plumbing is sized correctly to provide the peak demand gpm the house requires. You do need to know if the well is a low flow well and if you wil have the volume of gallons needed to backwash or regenerate the correctly sized filter etc. you need to get rid of the iron. H2S and manganese in your water. So ask the static water depth and how deep the pump is set at and what diameter the well is. And if it is a screened well or rock bore and what size and type of pressure tank you have. Write that data down somewhere so you can find it years from now.

For correct sizing info, click on the link in my signature.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks