Takagai TM-1 blows fuse on circuit board

Users who are viewing this thread

magconpres

Reaction score
A few times in the last year, I've woken up to no hot water.
In checking the TM-1, there was no power to the remote/display.

I discovered that one of the 5A fuses on the circuit board was blown.

Replacing the fuse makes everything fine for at least a few months (like I said, this has happened 3 times in 12 months).

On one occasion, we had a power outage, so maybe their was a surge when the power came back on, but usually if the power goes out, the unit stays off even when the pwoer comes back on, so I doubt that is it.

Has anyone else had this happen? My unit is probalby 4 years old now and I'm sure it is out of warranty (though I plan to check).

whatever it is doesn't happen all the time as a new fuse works for quite a while.

thanks,

mcp.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
ANy clue on what thing that fuse is designed to protect? If there's a schematic, see what the output feeds, then look there.

magconpres

Reaction score
No clue. Talked with a Takagi tech today. He told me to look for corrosion, leaks, or shorts. I can rule out shorts as if there was a short, this would be a constant problem.
For now, I plan to relocate the fuse in a panel mounts holder so I can change it easily and I'll monitor the frequency of the issue. If it increases, I'll contact Takagi again.

The tech did indicate that the discoloration I see on the circuit borad is normal (one corner looks a bit brown...like it's over heating). He also confirmed that the recirc pump is probalby not the cause. He also didn't think that power surges would cuase this. That makes sense to me since there should be a transformer between the line power and the fuse anyway.

The fuse blew again today, so it's happened twice in 12 days.
Prior to that it was about 3 or 4 months. Prior to that probably 6 months. So it seems to be happening more frequently.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
There's more to some fuses than just their size and current rating...are you sure you're using the right fuse? Some call for a time-delay fuse, this may or may not. Using the wrong one can lead to nuisance blowing like you're seeing. Double-check the spec to be sure.

magconpres

Reaction score
Blew again today.
I don't think it is anything with the fuse as the first replacement lasted 6 months, but I will check with Takagi tomorrow.
Tech didn't think replacing the board would necessarily fix anything, and the board is about $500.

Everything inside looks pretty good. There's some dust, but nothing much, and there's no water or signs of corrosion at all.

Will post what I learn tomorrow.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
If appropriate (not all circuits are designed for them), a slow-blow fuse can handle a momentary overload and keep the circuit active without blowing where a 'straight' fuse would just melt (blow). This is similar to the trip curve tailoring of most circuit breakers, except you can't reset most fuses!

If you use a 'straight' fuse in a circuit that is designed for a slow-blow one, you'll often get sporadic blown fuses.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks