How do I protect the visible part of the bathtub drain from corrosion ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob L

Reaction score
In 2011 we renovated a bathroom and replaced the old bathtub. Before the renovation, on the old tub, the visible parts of the bathtub drain hole were corroding and staining the surrounding area of the tub, which was very unsightly.

Like an idiot, when I renovated and had a new tub installed, I did not firmly instruct the plumber to be sure to install a corrosion proof drain, in large part because he was a very non-communicative arrogant foreigner who kept saying "I know what I'm doing" every time I tried to discuss anything (he seemed to think I was challenging his technical competence).

QUESTION: Is there a way to permanently coat the drain surface so it does not corrode ? Would clear Rustoleum work ? If not, should I repeatedly wax or polish the surface to prevent corrosion ?

Will much 'preciate advice.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
First of all, what type of finish is the drain? Is it Chrome, or is it a more "high end" finish? Chrome, if it is a good quality drain, should last many years unless you scrub the heck out of it and use caustic cleaning chemicals:( .

Other finishes like brushed nickel, polished brass, and oil rubbed bronze do not fare so well, but if they are high quality ones, they should not corrode within 1 year. Is the discoloration on the tub coming from the visible part of the drain (cover plate) like you said, or is it coming from the bottom part that screws into the tub drain shoe under the tub? of course, there are variations of tub drains that may not match what I said, maybe?

Did the new one corrode yet, or are you just anticipating it will? It sounds like you are just worried it will.:eek:

from another BobL:cool:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There is a huge difference in the quality of drain parts you can buy...good ones can last a very long time and still look new.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Some of the shoe strainers are pot metal......some are brass. Get the brass if you want it to last. Chromed brass will typically last longer than the other finishes.. Do not use drain cleaning chemicals.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks