Hole on sewer line

Users who are viewing this thread

Gene Curtis

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here. I looking for an answer to a problem with my sewer line. It's the old black tar stromburg, I think is the name, pipe. While digging i punched a 1/4 inch round hole in the top. is there an eay way to plug this hole? I thought about the many different hardening compounds they have now. there must be something to plug the hole. Please help.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
First, what were you using that punched a hole in the pipe?

If it was easy to do it may be a indication that the pipe may be at the end of it's usfull life?

How old is the house?

For now you could get 2 large stainless steel hose clamps that would go around the pipe side by side and place a peice of rubber from a inner tube or similar between the pipe and the clamps and then tighten the clamps over the hole.

This would last quite a while.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
hole

There used to be a brand of pipe that was called ORANGEBERG and it was thin and soft.

Don't believe it wased used in place of cast iron.

Like Cass suggested, you could use a little tar on a piece of gasget material and a 3" or 4" hose clamp.

Who would know the difference?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sanitary or Drainage

The soft fiber pipes were often used for drainage. Do you know that it is a sewer pipe and not some drain around the house?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

Orangeburg, when it was used, always took the place of cast-iron or clay tile outside the house. No matter what you patch it with, tar or a bandaid, it will have to all be replaced eventually. I am surprised it is not already oval shaped or flattened out by the pressure of the ground above it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks