closet flange to lead pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

OldGoat

Reaction score
I have a toilet that is leaking under the house. I would guess that it is the wax seal though. I seem to remember that the flange was cracked years ago when I replaced the seal so would like to change it out. The problem is that it goes to a 4" lead pipe. Generally how is the flange connected to the pipe or does it just fit inside it? Would I be lucky enough to just be able to buy another flange and replace it? Are the new PVC flanges better or stay with brass or cast iron? I have another bathroom so this isn't pressing right now, but I would like an idea before I take it off.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I question the statement that you have "lead" drain pipes. I'd bet on cast iron. Lots harder to work with than PVC or ABS, but you will have to make a transition from cast iron to PVC or ABS if you used one of them. If you want to use cast iron, hire a plumber to properly connect.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If it is lead it may go back to a brass transition peice. If it does you should be able to cut off all the the lead and put a 4"X3"Fernco on the brass and then start with the plastic. If it is lead into the hub you need to cut the lead out and be sure the hub is very clean and then install a 4"X3" Fernco doughnut and place your 3" PVC into the inside of the donut. This job can be very hard as the fit is sometimes very tight and if it is in a bad spot it makes it that much worse. I have had some that had to be pounded in with a sledge hammer and a block of wood. Dish soap can sometimes help it to slide easier but be carefull not to go to far in the doughnut, mark the distance required , on the pipe, with a marker so you know where to stop.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
toilet

The old brass flange was cracked?
Or was the lead cracked at the flange?
Did you replace it and solder on a new one then?
May be you just have to solder it back togather.

If you have to remove the lead ferrol from cast iron hub, then why not just lead in a 4" cast iron stub and cast iron closet flange?
Seems to me that would be easier.
Will be more difficult to dig out the old lead pipe.

OldGoat

Reaction score
It has been several years since I've replaced the wax ring, but I believe it was just cracked. Didn't fix it which was probably a mistake then, but I guess I was thinking I would try it and see if it worked OK. The drain lines are cast iron, but it has about a foot long section of 4" lead pipe going from a cast iron T up to the closet flange. Getting the lead pipe out would be kind of difficult I would think since you wouldn't be able to get in there to work on it very well. I was thinking that I might be able to cut the lead pipe off flush with the bottom of the floor if I could get an adaptor to fit into the lead pipe. Otherwise I think I would have to go back and take it out at the cast iron T. The T is on top of 4" PVC to the main sewer line. I guess that I could cut the 2' line coming into the T from the side and then the lead pipe and go back with all PVC to replace the cut out parts.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Cut the lead pipe off with a Z saw then you can cut the lead in the hub with the Z saw in 3 places then pry it out with a large screwdriver. Then use a Fernco doughnut and PVC pipe and you will / should never have another problem with it.

It also depends on how old of a goat you are. :)

Last edited:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
pictures and diagrams please

i had lead too, and a brass flange. This may be the same set-up.

You may want to take a picture and or draw a simple line diagram using any old software, even a word processing software. I do believe there is room for confusion here, between your words and reality and how we all read what you wrote...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks