Well pump setup questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Goonberry

Reaction score
I am new to wells and well pumps and hope someone here on the forum could provide some insight or critique what I am trying to do. I have a well on my property that was already there when I build the house and I would like to use it for outside irrigation only. Water level is about 20' from the top of the pipe (6.75" pipe with a 5" pipe inside). I dropped a string down and got to about 200 feet without bottoming out (ran out of string). I would like to keep the project as cost effective as possible, so I want to use a 4" submersible pump dropping it about 100 feet (1/2 hp 10-12 gpm. 2 wire) using 1-1/4" 160 psi poly pipe with a long brass barb connection with no safety rope or torque arrestor. I would size each of the irrigation zones for 10 gpm at 40 psi to avoid any excessive pump cycling.

I would like to do this without a pressure tank? What type of pressure protection if any is needed? Could I still use a pressure swith with a tankless setup?

I would have about 8 zones and water each zone for 30 minutes twice a week.

Would a red lion/little giant pump be sufficient for this setup or are they junk like most of the box store brands?

I have read hundreds of posts on the forum and know that there are numerous people on here with extensive knowledge and experience so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
You're on the right track and yep Big Box store pumps are usually junk but cheap and they do work. I'd recommend installing a Pside-Kick. The Pside-Kick includes all that you will need to give you constant pressure for your irrigation system while extending the life of your pump. Go to http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/products.html to see the Pside-Kick. If you can't find it in your area contact Cycle Stop Valves they can assist you. NOTE: Don't purchase a VFD type pump!

Goonberry

Reaction score
Porky.

thanks for the input. I have some budget constraint so I will procede without the pside kick and then hopefully add it in the future for a more stable pressure and less cycling of the pump

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you can match all the zones to the pump, then use the pump start relay in the sprinkler timer box to turn the pump on and off. You can't use a pressure switch without a pressure tank.

JPat

Reaction score
Website
huemannwelldrilling.com
Some type of pressure relief should be installed. When the zones switch you will get an increase of pressure and dead head the system against your sprinkler valves, over time they will fail prematurely due to the excessive pressure.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Ditto on the pressure relief!!! It will help with spikes between sprinklers zones. But most important, it will keep the motor from burning up when the gophers eat the wires to the sprinklers, the timer didn’t know it and started the pump anyway.

Goonberry

Reaction score
excellent. I will match the zones and install some type of pressure relief valve. No gophers around here just prairie dogs :D

Goonberry

Reaction score
Running into a small issue when trying to find a well seal. The i.d of the top of the well pipe is 6-3/4", it flares out at the top. I am not worried about the well being sanitary but would like to attach the drop pipe to the cap and put an elbow on it to keep it all secure. I guess I could cut off the flare out at the top.

Any ideas? what are my options. No pitless adapter on this.

20120414_221819 (600x800).jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks