(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 41

Thread: Loud Fan Won't Turn Off

  1. #16
    DIY Senior Member Kiko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Posts
    175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobL43 View Post
    Good news and success is always good to hear. congrats! you did use the heat sink paste this time though, right?

    Yes, but I think you are overstating the importance of the heat transfer paste.
    My computer was running for God knows how many weeks or months with a huge gap between the heat sink and CPU, and the only ramifications were that the fan ran on high speed and eventually the computer shut down.

    So, how could microscopic air gaps between the heat sink and CPU cause the CPU to fry, when it didn't fry when there was a 1/4" - 1/2" gap over an extended period?

    It seems to me that the worst thing that could happen is that the fan would run at a higher speed for a few seconds to pull off some miniscule amount of extra heat.
    Last edited by Kiko; 04-22-2012 at 07:12 PM.

  2. #17
    DIY Senior Member BobL43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
    Yes, but I think you are overstating the importance of the heat transfer paste.
    My computer was running for God knows how many weeks or months with a huge gap between the heat sink and CPU board, and the only ramifications were that the fan ran on high speed and eventually the computer shut down.

    So, how could microscopic air gaps between the heat sink and CPU board cause the CPU board to fry, when it didn't fry when there was a 1/4" - 1/2" gap over an extended period?

    It seems to me that the worst thing that could happen is that the fan would run at a higher speed for a few seconds to pull off some miniscule amount of extra heat.
    WOT ME WORRY? Please don't ell ME the sky is falling!

    Hey, watteva works for you, GO FOR IT!
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

  3. #18
    DIY Senior Member Kiko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Posts
    175

    Default

    I was hoping for a rational, scientific explanation to counter my argument.

  4. #19
    Jack of all trades DonL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
    Yes, but I think you are overstating the importance of the heat transfer paste.
    My computer was running for God knows how many weeks or months with a huge gap between the heat sink and CPU, and the only ramifications were that the fan ran on high speed and eventually the computer shut down.

    So, how could microscopic air gaps between the heat sink and CPU cause the CPU to fry, when it didn't fry when there was a 1/4" - 1/2" gap over an extended period?

    It seems to me that the worst thing that could happen is that the fan would run at a higher speed for a few seconds to pull off some miniscule amount of extra heat.

    The CPU has internal Temperature limit control.

    It shuts down to protect itself from melt down.

    Most Newer Motherboards control the CPU fan speed, according to CPU temperature. And if the fan is three wire, it sends a tach pulse to determine the speed that it is turning, and knows if it is not running, or is running to slow. That will shut the system down if its speed is not correct.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

    Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

  5. #20
    DIY Senior Member BobL43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    The CPU has internal Temperature limit control.

    It shuts down to protect itself from melt down.

    Most Newer Motherboards control the CPU fan speed, according to CPU temperature. And if the fan is three wire, it sends a tach pulse to determine the speed that it is turning, and knows if it is not running, or is running to slow. That will shut the system down if its speed is not correct.
    Well said Don, but kiko is implying his/her PC is running normally ohterwise, just noisy. Oops, just reread the first post, and it says that the PC is shutting down by itself spontaneously. Patrick gave kiko the first good advice, and I just added to it. If kiko prefers not to use the paste, its OK with me, as its not my PC I was trying to save from catastrophic failure. LOL. PC's are cheap these days anyway.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

  6. #21
    Jack of all trades DonL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobL43 View Post
    Well said Don, but kiko is implying his/her PC is running normally ohterwise, just noisy. Oops, just reread the first post, and it says that the PC is shutting down by itself spontaneously. Patrick gave kiko the first good advice, and I just added to it. If kiko prefers not to use the paste, its OK with me, as its not my PC I was trying to save from catastrophic failure. LOL. PC's are cheap these days anyway.
    I would not want a overheating CPU to shut down. But it is good protection for the CPU. But can damage the motherboard.

    Many times it can melt the solder on a BGA CPU or melt a plastic CPU socket.


    Some people drive when the Oil light on their auto comes on, and wait till the motor blows, then check the oil. Same with water temp light. I call them DA indicators.


    I like to fix something at the first sign of trouble. It is cheaper that way.


    But as you know it is easy to be a pro crastinator.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

    Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

  7. #22
    DIY Senior Member BobL43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    I would not want a overheating CPU to shut down. But it is good protection for the CPU. But can damage the motherboard.

    Many times it can melt the solder on a BGA CPU or melt a plastic CPU socket.


    Some people drive when the Oil light on their auto comes on, and wait till the motor blows, then check the oil. Same with water temp light. I call them DA indicators.


    I like to fix something at the first sign of trouble. It is cheaper that way.


    But as you know it is easy to be a pro crastinator.
    Touché or to make this post long enough to post, too-shay! play with my sig, will ya? LOL!
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

  8. #23
    DIY Senior Member Kiko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Posts
    175

    Default

    I guess, what I was wanting to know is if there have ever been any studies to determine the optimum temperature that a pentium 4 (or other processor) should operate at, and if there is really a difference in operating temps between pasted and unpasted heat sinks.

    I have seen a lot of youtube videos showing cpu's with globs of hardened thermal paste on them, which they say (and I agree) actually impedes thermal conductivity, since the best way to conduct heat is direct metal-to-metal.

  9. #24
    Jack of all trades DonL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
    I guess, what I was wanting to know is if there have ever been any studies to determine the optimum temperature that a pentium 4 (or other processor) should operate at, and if there is really a difference in operating temps between pasted and unpasted heat sinks.

    I have seen a lot of youtube videos showing cpu's with globs of hardened thermal paste on them, which they say (and I agree) actually impedes thermal conductivity, since the best way to conduct heat is direct metal-to-metal.

    The cooler the better.

    Some of the newer motherboard BIOS will let you monitor the temperature of the CPU and the Fan RPMs.

    There are some software utilities that will display it in real time.

    metal-to-metal is good, but most CPUs are not metal, and the thermal paste helps between different materials, and uneven flat surfaces.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

    Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

  10. #25
    DIY Senior Member Kiko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Posts
    175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    The cooler the better.

    Some of the newer motherboard BIOS will let you monitor the temperature of the CPU and the Fan RPMs.

    There are some software utilities that will display it in real time.

    metal-to-metal is good, but most CPUs are not metal, and the thermal paste helps between different materials, and uneven flat surfaces.

    Good information!

    I downloaded a utility program called "Speedfan," which measures CPU temp. and fan speeds in real time.

    I conducted a little experiment, where I monitored the temp. of my CPU, first with the CPU cooler unpasted, and then using thermal paste (made by Dynatron).

    Both the pasted and unpasted CPU's idled at around 45 C, but at higher CPU usage (>25%), there was a noticeable difference: Thermal paste allowed the CPU to run from 5-10 degrees cooler than unpasted. So, it is obviously worth using it.

    My processor is a Pentium 4 / 3.0 GHz
    and the CPU cooler is a Dynatron - Intel Universal Edition CPU cooler
    Last edited by Kiko; 04-26-2012 at 04:02 PM.

  11. #26
    DIY Senior Member BobL43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
    Good information!

    I downloaded a utility program called "Speedfan," which measures CPU temp. and fan speeds in real time.

    I conducted a little experiment, where I monitored the temp. of my CPU, first with the CPU cooler unpasted, and then using thermal paste (made by Dynatron).

    Both the pasted and unpasted CPU's idled at around 45 C, but at higher CPU usage (>25%), there was a noticeable difference: Thermal paste allowed the CPU to run from 5-10 degrees cooler than unpasted. So, it is obviously worth using it.

    My processor is a Pentium 4 / 3.0 GHz
    and the CPU cooler is a Dynatron - Intel Universal Edition CPU cooler
    Glad you tried it for yourself in a comparison and became a believer.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

  12. #27
    Jack of all trades DonL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobL43 View Post
    Glad you tried it for yourself in a comparison and became a believer.
    I use the White Monkey Poo, or the Pink stuff. But it is messy, if you get it on you.

    All the clear stuff is not as good, but it washes off like KY Jelly.

    Do not confuse your KY with Monkey Poo.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

    Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

  13. #28
    DIY Senior Member BobL43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    I use the White Monkey Poo, or the Pink stuff. But it is messy, if you get it on you.

    All the clear stuff is not as good, but it washes off like KY Jelly.

    Do not confuse your KY with Monkey Poo.
    Arctic silver is made with silver particles and is um, silver!

    Last time I saw monkey poo was at the Bronx Zoo, and it was definitely not pink. They were throwing it around; not a pretty sight Don.

    KY helps things get hotter, not cooler if used on the proper parts
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

  14. #29
    Plumber patrick88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Webster Ma.
    Posts
    836

    Default

    Yes i know this is an old thread.
    I have used Artic Silver. works great.
    I have tested with no paste also. Not so good. over heated the computer.
    I'm using a laptop right now that ran windows 7
    Before i got this. It was over heating. Removed Win 7. Installed Debian Linux. Now it's not over heating.
    I am a believer in if you set the hard ware up right and the OS all should work well.
    I'm just starting to work with an old friend of mine to bring solar electric and hot water systems, wind turbines, Flex Fuel Boilers, batteries, hydroponic gardening, books, pellet grills and more. Also the parts for DIY installation.

  15. #30
    Jack of all trades DonL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by patrick88 View Post
    Yes i know this is an old thread.
    I have used Artic Silver. works great.
    I have tested with no paste also. Not so good. over heated the computer.
    I'm using a laptop right now that ran windows 7
    Before i got this. It was over heating. Removed Win 7. Installed Debian Linux. Now it's not over heating.
    I am a believer in if you set the hard ware up right and the OS all should work well.
    Laptop fans are known to get lint buildup in them.

    A different OS may seem to help the overheat problem, You may want to see if your fan is partially plugged up.

    Most Laptop fans can be cleaned easily with a vacuum cleaner.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

    Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Similar Threads

  1. Hard to turn shower hot and cold Kolher 1/4 turn valve stems
    By magnumip in forum Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-11-2011, 06:31 AM
  2. 15 year old Kinetico 30 getting loud ...
    By maddog in forum Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and reviews
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-23-2010, 08:43 AM
  3. can a multi-turn shutoff turn itself on?
    By dekelly in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-21-2009, 07:26 AM
  4. What is the best shallow well pump to buy? Not to loud!
    By grandparay in forum Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-13-2008, 07:16 PM
  5. how far to turn sink, tub, or toilet shutoff valves to turn on water
    By ydelamater in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-12-2007, 06:28 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •