Loud Fan Won't Turn Off

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Well said Don, but kiko is implying his/her PC is running normally ohterwise, just noisy. Oops, just reread the first post, and it says that the PC is shutting down by itself spontaneously. Patrick gave kiko the first good advice, and I just added to it. If kiko prefers not to use the paste, its OK with me, as its not my PC I was trying to save from catastrophic failure. LOL. PC's are cheap these days anyway.

I would not want a overheating CPU to shut down. But it is good protection for the CPU. But can damage the motherboard.

Many times it can melt the solder on a BGA CPU or melt a plastic CPU socket.

Some people drive when the Oil light on their auto comes on, and wait till the motor blows, then check the oil. Same with water temp light. I call them DA indicators.

I like to fix something at the first sign of trouble. It is cheaper that way.

But as you know it is easy to be a pro crastinator.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I would not want a overheating CPU to shut down. But it is good protection for the CPU. But can damage the motherboard.

Many times it can melt the solder on a BGA CPU or melt a plastic CPU socket.

Some people drive when the Oil light on their auto comes on, and wait till the motor blows, then check the oil. Same with water temp light. I call them DA indicators.

I like to fix something at the first sign of trouble. It is cheaper that way.

But as you know it is easy to be a pro crastinator.

Touché or to make this post long enough to post, too-shay! play with my sig, will ya? LOL!

Kiko

Reaction score
I guess, what I was wanting to know is if there have ever been any studies to determine the optimum temperature that a pentium 4 (or other processor) should operate at, and if there is really a difference in operating temps between pasted and unpasted heat sinks.

I have seen a lot of youtube videos showing cpu's with globs of hardened thermal paste on them, which they say (and I agree) actually impedes thermal conductivity, since the best way to conduct heat is direct metal-to-metal.

DonL

Reaction score
I guess, what I was wanting to know is if there have ever been any studies to determine the optimum temperature that a pentium 4 (or other processor) should operate at, and if there is really a difference in operating temps between pasted and unpasted heat sinks.

I have seen a lot of youtube videos showing cpu's with globs of hardened thermal paste on them, which they say (and I agree) actually impedes thermal conductivity, since the best way to conduct heat is direct metal-to-metal.

The cooler the better.

Some of the newer motherboard BIOS will let you monitor the temperature of the CPU and the Fan RPMs.

There are some software utilities that will display it in real time.

metal-to-metal is good, but most CPUs are not metal, and the thermal paste helps between different materials, and uneven flat surfaces.

Kiko

Reaction score
The cooler the better.

Some of the newer motherboard BIOS will let you monitor the temperature of the CPU and the Fan RPMs.

There are some software utilities that will display it in real time.

metal-to-metal is good, but most CPUs are not metal, and the thermal paste helps between different materials, and uneven flat surfaces.

Good information!

I downloaded a utility program called "Speedfan," which measures CPU temp. and fan speeds in real time.

I conducted a little experiment, where I monitored the temp. of my CPU, first with the CPU cooler unpasted, and then using thermal paste (made by Dynatron).

Both the pasted and unpasted CPU's idled at around 45 C, but at higher CPU usage (>25%), there was a noticeable difference: Thermal paste allowed the CPU to run from 5-10 degrees cooler than unpasted. So, it is obviously worth using it.

My processor is a Pentium 4 / 3.0 GHz
and the CPU cooler is a Dynatron - Intel Universal Edition CPU cooler

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Good information!

I downloaded a utility program called "Speedfan," which measures CPU temp. and fan speeds in real time.

I conducted a little experiment, where I monitored the temp. of my CPU, first with the CPU cooler unpasted, and then using thermal paste (made by Dynatron).

Both the pasted and unpasted CPU's idled at around 45 C, but at higher CPU usage (>25%), there was a noticeable difference: Thermal paste allowed the CPU to run from 5-10 degrees cooler than unpasted. So, it is obviously worth using it.

My processor is a Pentium 4 / 3.0 GHz
and the CPU cooler is a Dynatron - Intel Universal Edition CPU cooler
Glad you tried it for yourself in a comparison and became a believer.

DonL

Reaction score
Glad you tried it for yourself in a comparison and became a believer.

I use the White Monkey Poo, or the Pink stuff. But it is messy, if you get it on you.

All the clear stuff is not as good, but it washes off like KY Jelly.

Do not confuse your KY with Monkey Poo.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I use the White Monkey Poo, or the Pink stuff. But it is messy, if you get it on you.

All the clear stuff is not as good, but it washes off like KY Jelly.

Do not confuse your KY with Monkey Poo.
Arctic silver is made with silver particles and is um, silver!

Last time I saw monkey poo was at the Bronx Zoo, and it was definitely not pink. They were throwing it around; not a pretty sight Don.

KY helps things get hotter, not cooler if used on the proper parts

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes i know this is an old thread. :)
I have used Artic Silver. works great.
I have tested with no paste also. Not so good. over heated the computer.
I'm using a laptop right now that ran windows 7
Before i got this. It was over heating. Removed Win 7. Installed Debian Linux. Now it's not over heating. :)
I am a believer in if you set the hard ware up right and the OS all should work well.

DonL

Reaction score
Yes i know this is an old thread. :)
I have used Artic Silver. works great.
I have tested with no paste also. Not so good. over heated the computer.
I'm using a laptop right now that ran windows 7
Before i got this. It was over heating. Removed Win 7. Installed Debian Linux. Now it's not over heating. :)
I am a believer in if you set the hard ware up right and the OS all should work well.

Laptop fans are known to get lint buildup in them.

A different OS may seem to help the overheat problem, You may want to see if your fan is partially plugged up.

Most Laptop fans can be cleaned easily with a vacuum cleaner.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Laptop fans are known to get lint buildup in them.

A different OS may seem to help the overheat problem, You may want to see if your fan is partially plugged up.

Most Laptop fans can be cleaned easily with a vacuum cleaner.

Well, Windows was never a "gentle sipper" of system resources, so the CPU runs easier without hogging it and memory, and creates less heat. I also noticed my PC is lots cooler when I turn it off (sleep mode)

Also, I read somewhere that when using a vacuum cleaner, you need to be very careful about creating static electricity, which can destroy electronic components. I never used a vacuum in my Desktop PCs, but I have been very cavalier in using canned air sprays to blow dust bunnies out of my PC. Probably froze some parts and caused lots of condensation in doing so, but I never caused any damge yet, and it always made me feel good to clean it out. My laptop does not seem to accumulate must dust or lint on its air intakes that I needed to clean.

I removed the IP address gadget because I felt it lets them keep statistics on every view by everybody that sees our post on Terry's site. Not sure if Terry likes or dislikes that. We can't see that data, but the gadget script creator webmasters can see all of it.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
Well, Windows was never a "gentle sipper" of system resources, so the CPU runs easier without hogging it and memory, and creates less heat. I also noticed my PC is lots cooler when I turn it off (sleep mode)

Also, I read somewhere that when using a vacuum cleaner, you need to be very careful about creating static electricity, which can destroy electronic components. I never used a vacuum in my Desktop PCs, but I have been very cavalier in using canned air sprays to blow dust bunnies out of my PC. Probably froze some parts and caused lots of condensation in doing so, but I never caused any damge yet, and it always made me feel good to clean it out. My laptop does not seem to accumulate must dust or lint on its air intakes that I needed to clean.

I removed the IP address gadget because I felt it lets them keep statistics on every view by everybody that sees our post on Terry's site. Not sure if Terry likes or dislikes that. We can't see that data, but the gadget script creator webmasters can see all of it.

I never thought Terry may not like the IP info. It is pretty much Public Domain and could bring more Pay per click hits to this web site. Not really sure.

If a computer can not operate at 100% CPU usage without overheating the CPU or other parts then it needs to be redesigned and is junk, I would think.

As far as Vacuum and static, I have never had a problem with Static damage caused by a Vacuum cleaner. I do have anti static vacuum adapters, but they are not really needed if parts are mounted on a board, and are a waste of money.

The problem with Caned air or air compressor is moister and the fact that what you blow out goes somewhere else. At least using a Vacuum cleaner you know where the stuff goes.

I use a $25.00 none ESD safe Vac, In Place of a $200.00 ESD safe Vac and they both work good.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I have blowen out the laptop a few times. No dust at all. If I crank things up some it does get hot. It's just a crappy Acer. I got it for free helping a friend learn how to use linux. He gave me 4 towers 3 amd 64. The 4th was just dust glogged n i pulled a few things from it n trashed it. well worth the time to get a free laptop n some new toys. :) I dont care if the laptop lasts.

DonL

Reaction score
Good for You.

Sounds like you came out smelling like a Rose.

I always disassemble them too clean them. Most Blowing Out, ends up being Blowing In, At least in my experience.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Well I do know your oh so very right.
Sadly the last time i pulled apart a laptop it didnt go very well. lol
I have thought of it. I have pulled out the drive and memory all dust free. I have not found many people who say many good things about acer laptops. My work has a pile of acer flat screen monitors. lol

DonL

Reaction score
Well I do know your oh so very right.
Sadly the last time i pulled apart a laptop it didnt go very well. lol
I have thought of it. I have pulled out the drive and memory all dust free. I have not found many people who say many good things about acer laptops. My work has a pile of acer flat screen monitors. lol

I repair them for a living.

They are not that hard, If you know what to do.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I repair them for a living.

They are not that hard, If you know what to do.
Yup you gotta know where the hidden screws are ans where to and not to pry. I had an old Sager Laptop back in the early 90's that I had apart several times to fix and repalce a failed video contrast board. All those stupid flex cables and their mystery connectors to slide them into.

DonL

Reaction score
You have to have slanted eyes to get some of them back together.

The Apples with everything built into the Monitor are the worse, But the money is good for repairing them.

Flex cables can suck, If you Flex them, lol

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Yea had a few old given to me laptops. They were not worth messing with as far as putting any os on them. They were slow from day one. Well pulled them apart. I got one back together. the other two i tossed out. Was more to learn than anything. lol
I would rather have a tower. I can put in add on cards or not. add drives etc..... Laptops your stuck with what ever you got. unless you want extra usb items. I have had my tower for years. Everybody I know who gets a laptop replaces it every 2 yrs. Why I always ask. I even ask if I can have there old one. lol They look at me like im nuts. Well If its junk to them its new for me. I wll clean out the old os n put on linux Prob get some more time on it.. The guy who gave me this laptop has not seen it with linux on it yet. LOL i told him it works rather fine. :D

DonL

Reaction score
Yea had a few old given to me laptops. They were not worth messing with as far as putting any os on them. They were slow from day one. Well pulled them apart. I got one back together. the other two i tossed out. Was more to learn than anything. lol
I would rather have a tower. I can put in add on cards or not. add drives etc..... Laptops your stuck with what ever you got. unless you want extra usb items. I have had my tower for years. Everybody I know who gets a laptop replaces it every 2 yrs. Why I always ask. I even ask if I can have there old one. lol They look at me like im nuts. Well If its junk to them its new for me. I wll clean out the old os n put on linux Prob get some more time on it.. The guy who gave me this laptop has not seen it with linux on it yet. LOL i told him it works rather fine. :D

That is why I call them Craptops.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks