I have an HP Desktop 530J and am running Windows XP SP3.
There are three cooling fans, and the loud one only used to go on for a few seconds or minutes when the room got hot or when I was using excessive CPU. Now the loud one goes on as soon as the computer boots up and NEVER goes off. It is really annoying.
I took off the cover and vacuumed all the dust inside and I even took a couple of the fans apart to clean the insides, but the problem persists.
Is there some kind of temp. sensor that could have burned out or is malfunctioning?
Is there a software command I can use to turn the loud fan off?
Edit: Now there is a new symptom. The computer spontaneously turns itself off with no warning. Is that what it does when it thinks it is overheating?