How to add tankless water condensate drain and softer drain to existing plumbing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Killer95Stang

Reaction score
First.. let me start by saying the water supply plumbing is no longer like this. I ripped out all of the supply piping as part of my bathroom remodel, and will be re-plumbing everything from the attic. With that out of the way, the pic below shows the current layout of the drains and vents for the toilet and sink. Right behind the sink is a water heater closet where I will be removing the tanked water heater and installing a tankless unit. I will also be adding a water softer system a few months down the road.

What I need to know is.. Can I cut the iron pipe above the sink drain tee, add a Sani-tee (abs with No-hubs) with trap and then a stand pipe in the water heater closet. I figure it will work like a washing machine drain stand pipe. If this can't be done, can someone lead me in the right direction? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Well, that will work ok, and makes sense...but strictly speaking under the California plumbing code you can't do it. The pipe above the sink arm is a vent, and you can't put waste into a vent line. Also, you can't wet vent a bathroom with an appliance like a softener. You could add revent the sink around the softener tie in.

Killer95Stang

Reaction score
Thanks for responding Jimbo..

I do want the drain to be done correctly! So... can you help me understand the proper layout for a separate drain for the softener? Is it something that I can handle? I've looked up "how to properly drain a water softer" but all I see are ways how not to drain it.

Thanks... BTW.. I'm open to all suggestions.. even if that means hiring a plumber...

Killer95Stang

Reaction score
The softener drain, because it is a "pressure flow" item can be connected below the sink, but not above it.

So I can put a Sani-tee below the sink drain, but then the water softener drain would have to be part of a sealed drain?... Or can I still configure a stand pipe in the water heater closet behind the sink?

Killer95Stang

Reaction score
Found this picture.. is this a correct way?

Laundry-Drain.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks